Chapter 15

M A Y A

*1 week later*

Dec. 5th

I sat on my bed sketching before my doctor's appointment. My mom was across the hall in her room calling a cab, and I could her shuffling in her closet.

So far this week had been okay. Riley still hasn't spoken to me, but she at least smiles at me in the halls. I miss her. It's not the same hanging out with the gang and not be able to talk to her directly. It feels like we're strangers with memories.

"Maya, taxi's downstairs!" I hear my mom holler a few minutes later. I placed down my sketching book, and pencil and grabbed my phone and headed out my room.

As I headed out I texted Farkle.

Meet me in doctor's office in 15.

I stuffed my phone back in my pocket and mom and I made our way downstairs. Once in the cab, we took deep breaths, since we practically sprinted down the stairs since we were running a little behind. Once the cab driver got down the address of the clinic we were officially on our way.

With each minute that passed I grew more and more anxious, excited, and frightened. I just wanted to be able to see the baby in the monitor and hear it's heart beat. I haven't decided whether or not I'd let Farkle step in with me.

I guess I'm confused about how I feel about him lately. Ever since Josh and I's argument he's been distant. Not like he leaves me alone or ignores me, but he barely talks to me. He only speaks to me whenever I ask a question or it's necessary. Otherwise he just stands by me not saying a word. It's strange considering Farkle has always been a talkative person.

He does talk to our friends, just like normal, but when it comes to me he's more reserved.  

I wonder why, but I don't want to ask. I don't want to say the wrong thing to him and have him turn his back on me. I'd rather at least have him even if he won't speak to me like he used to. I need him by my side.

"Hi, Farkle!" My mom smiles as we approach him. We are about to enter the clinic.

"Hello, Mrs. Matthews," Farkle greets, then turns to me. "Hello, Maya."

"Hey," I smile a little. We make our way inside, my mom ahead of us and Farkle and I walking behind her. Farkle places an arms round my shoulders, his way of comforting me, and I feel ten times better already. Then I realized I want him to come in with me.

"Are you coming in?" I ask as my mom signs me in.

"If you'd want me to, yes." He nods. I nod back, and then we take a seat in the waiting area. A few mothers-to-be flip through the magazines, and others speak to their toddlers in hushed voices. Most of them have big stomachs, which makes me think about how mine will look in a matter of months.

"Maya Hart," my name is heard throughout the room and my legs turn to jelly when I stand. Farkle stands and my mom as well. Again we follow after my mom.

....

The nurse asks me multiple questions and jots my answers down as well. A couple minutes later she excused herself and the doctor comes in. She is a brunette, small lady with black nerdy glasses with a sweet smile. I instantly feel better when I see her.

"Hello," She begins. "I'm Dr. Peterson."

"You must be Maya," she extends her hand to me which I gladly shake.