Chapter 16

F A R K L E

Before going to school the next morning I paced around my room like a mad man. I wanted to gather my thoughts and really think about how today is going to play out. I plan to tell Smackle about me and Maya's child.

I thought about everything that lead up to that night where Maya and I gave our bodies to each other. Then I began to think about the breakup.

*flashback*

"Hi," I say as I took a seat next to Smackle at Topanga's.

"Hi," she greeted, adding a sigh. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Of course," I reached out to kiss her cheek, but she turned her head away so I couldn't.

For the past two weeks Smackle has been distant with me. I have no recollection of doing anything that had upset or angered her in any way or form. I assumed she was going through her you know...monthly..but, it's been two weeks and I'm sure menstrual cycles only last about a week or so.

"So..." She starts. "I invited you over for a talk."

I nodded.

"As you may know, I am applying to many colleges since my grades have slightly dropped this semester. I am not able to attend Harvard anymore." She says the last sentence with so much sadness that I could actually feel her pain. It hurts me to see Smackle down, she's so intelligent and capable of anything. It angers me that this has happened to her.

"Smackle I'm so sorry,"

"Me too," Her lips purse into a thin line. "I thought I had everything planned out. Turns out I don't." She looks at me, her watery eyes starring back at me through her glasses.

"Is there anything I can do?" I ask in hopes of lifting her spirits. I am willing to do anything for Smackle. Anything to bring her smile back.

"Yes," She inhales a deep breath. "There is something actually."

"Anything," I reassure a smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

"I'm at a challenging point in my educational career right now....I was thinking the other day and I've come to a conclusion." I nod, encouraging her to continue, waiting for her to tell me where I come in and save the day. Only I didn't see what was coming next. "I need space."

My lips parted, but my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. I couldn't form any words. I'm speechless. After all, what does one say when the love of their life is practically telling them it's over?

"Farkle...." Smackle repeats. "I'd like for us to separate."

"W-what?" I'm finally able to talk and that's the only reply that comes to mind. "Why?"

"It's what's best for me." She says sounding pretty darn confident with her decision. Meanwhile I'm sitting there mouth gaped, no type of words whatsoever coming out of me, and my brain can't process what's even going on right now. I'm basically just sitting there as the person I love ends our relationship!

"Smackle, no..." I take her hand in mine, and this time she makes no attempt to stop me. "We can work this out together, we'll study more, take up extra curricular AP activities or classes, we'll send out more resumes to colleges, and I'll even get my dad to send out a recommendation letter-"

"Farkle," she interrupts, squeezing my hand her head shaking as she does so."It's what's best."

"Not for me," I say below a whisper. "I love you."