Chapter 3

M A Y A

M A Y A

"How does this one look?" Riley, asked as she spun in circles in a flowery, light pink dress.

"Next," I say as I shake my head.

"And this one?" She asks, coming once again back into the room. She sports a burgundy velvety dress, which had long sleeves.

"This one's not too shabby." I kinda compliment. Riley goes back into her closet and then hurried over to the bathroom across the hall.

"Okay, this is my very last nice dress." Riley warns, and then swings the door open. She wore a beautiful white dress with little daisies on it, which held itself up around her neck forming a bow in the back of her neck. Her back was showing giving off a more flirty, but classy look. Perfect.

"You look lovely," a male voice says. I look over to see Corey standing there, admiring his beautiful daughter.

"She does, doesn't she?" I grin, admiring Riley again.

"What's going on here?" Auggie comes in. "Riley, aren't you a little old to play dress up?"

We all chuckle. "I'm not playing dress up, Auggie. I'm trying outfits on for a special event." Riley explains.

"What's the event?" Auggie asks yet another question.

"I will be going on a ....date." Riley says sheepishly.

"Oh." Auggie's mouth taking the shape of a large letter O. "Dad, don't you and mommy go on those?"

Corey nods. "Yes, we do."

"But, isn't dating only for grown ups?"

"Not always." It's now Topanga that speaks. "There are couples, or people who really like each other and want to be together, that like to spend time together. These people can be Riley's age or older like me and daddy."

"So, what I'm hearing is that Riley has a boyfriend?"

"NO!" Corey rapidly shouts. "She's just getting friendly with a boy."

"Is it Lucas?" Auggie snickers, bouncing his eyebrows up and down as he does so.

"Yes," Corey replies while making a face.

"Come on, hun. Let's get you a glass of warm milk and a plate of cookies." Topanga says, patting Corey on his back gently. They exit the room and Auggie joins them.

"Is he not happy for me?"

"Don't worry, Riles. He'll learn to accept this overtime." I reassure, after seeing how her smile dropped a bit after seeing her father's reaction towards Auggie's questions.

"I hope so, Maya. I really hope so."

After having dinner at Riley's I go upstairs to my apartment. I notice that the house was quiet so I'm guessing mom and dad went out.

I make my way to my room, and take a long, hot shower afterwards. However, when I had begun to step out of my clothes I happened to look in the mirror and I noticed I gained a little bit of weight. Not so much on my thighs, or arms....just my abdomen.

I shake the thoughts away, and go fetch my birth control. I don't know why even though I know what might be going on I keep on drinking the birth control. I have no idea. I just keep doing it.

I'm just in denial.

I'm in denial.