Chapter 20

F A R K L E

"Yay!" Maya squeals, sounding very much like Riley, as we approach the small fro-yo place. She tugs at my arm, telling me I'm walking to slow for her liking, and drags me behind her as she skips much like a child the rest of the way.

As she ate her multi-flavored frozen yogurt, I couldn't help but notice the delicacy that had come upon her right before my eyes. The pregnancy, which had started to show a bit, casted a glow upon Maya. She just beams, radiating happiness and warmness. As I was in her arms last night I realized this, and soon enough I began to get warm again under her touch. It was magical, nothing I've ever felt before—

"Farkle," Maya calls, making me loose my train of thought.

"Yes?"

"Shawn thinks the baby is a girl," Maya musters up a small smile, her heart fluttering with the thought of a daughter.

"Yeah?" I chuckle. "I'm pretty sure he's right."

"Me too," Maya says, nodding. "We'll just have to wait 'til our next appointment."

"We shall see," Excitement fills me, the thought of finding out the gender of our child making me excited beyond measure.

"When are we telling your dad?" Maya questions, liking some frozen yogurt off the back of the plastic, blue spoon.

"I want to tell him within the next week for sure. I don't want to rush into it since I just told Smackle yesterday." I explain. Maya nods, letting me know she understands, and then steals a spoon of my vanilla and oats frozen yogurt. She scrunches her nose, and then slowly the corners of her lips tug up into a smile.

"It's actually good!" Maya exclaims. She swatches our frozen yogurt containers, and I sigh and go for a spoon of what looks like unicorn vomit.

To my surprise my mouth forms a smile.

"This is also actually good!" I mimic. Spoonful after spoonful the swirl of many flavors finds its way down my throat and into my stomach.

Before we leave, I pick up a second cup for Maya for later, and as we exit the frozen yogurt place Maya takes a hold of my hand. We walk hand in hand down Manhattan and stop once we see a park on our way back home.

We take a seat on a wooden bench, overlooking the sun set. Maya snuggles into my shoulder, and I instinctively wrap my left arm around her protectively.

"The sunset is beautiful." Maya states, a warm smile plastered on her face then she looks up at me with those icy blue eyes.

"What?" She asks, nervously.

"Your eyes are breathtaking," I sigh. I can't believe I hadn't noticed it before up until now. I then realize this is only the beginning. I was just getting to know Maya, the side of Maya that is in love.

"Thank you," Maya blushes, then looks away fiddling with her small, porcelain fingers.

"Maya? Farkle?" Maya and I look up to see Missy. She looks at us with narrowed eyes, and I could pick up confusion too.

"Hello, Missy Bradford." I greet nonchalantly.

"Hey," Maya plainly says. She's never liked Missy Bradford. I recall Maya saying that she's a 'spoiled brat', which she is. That doesn't bother me though, I'm just neutral.