Chapter 39

M A Y A

"Coming!"

I take a shaky breath as the door opens. "H-Hi, I know it's late. I'm sorry to wake you guys up, but I don't know where to go-" Topanga pulls me in as I break down in her arms. All my emotions pour out of me in tears and it feels great to finally cry it out.

"Oh, Maya." Topanga whispers, wiping my tears with her hands. "Come on in, sweetie. Let's get you guys settled."

The next morning my eyes flutter open, and I have to look around in order to remember that I'm not home or with Farkle, I'm at Riley's. I look over at Evie and I don't find her. My heart flies up to my throat when I move over to look on the other side of the bed and I grow relieved when I don't see her there.

I walk out and see the Matthews family having their breakfast and Evie is there with them.

"Good morning, Matthewses!" I manage a smile and take a seat.

"How did you sleep?" Topanga asks as she sets a plate of waffles and eggs in front of me, and sits down to sip from her blue mug.

"Very good, thank you." Topanga reaches over and squeezes my hand.

"So, what happened Maya?" Corey asks.

I take a deep breath. "I was supposed to move in with Farkle yesterday and my mom basically told me that se didn't agree with the whole moving arrangement and that I was taking her granddaughter from her. Since I really believed it was better for me to move in with Farkle so Evie could have her dad around I decided to do it anyway. Last night I told Farkle what had happened with my mom and he basically agreed with her; saying he didn't want to rush into anything. I told him that he was worried about doing the right thing first and putting me and Evie second. Then I left."

Topanga and Corey look at each other. "Wow."

"I know," I shrug, digging my fork into an egg. "I guess I'll have to move back upstairs now."

"Stay!" Topanga immediately said. "Riley isn't supposed to be back for a couple more days so feel free to be here for as long as you need to sort things out, okay?"

I nodded and gave them a huge smile. "Thank you, so much. You seriously don't know how much I appreciate you both."

"We love you, Maya." Corey speaks. "Anything we can do for you, we will do."

I was so grateful to have Topanga and Corey. They had been there one hundred percent ever since I have known them. Riley is the luckiest girl in the world when it comes to parents. Something like Corey and Topanga is what I hope to have one day. But I guess this love stuff isn't really for me... The only thing I'm good at is being a mother to Evie.

"Well, kids Corey and I are off to work!" Topanga says as she grabs her suitcase. Corey does the same. "Auggie lets get you over to Mrs. Fer—"

"No! Not Mrs. Fernels! I want to stay with Maya!" Auggie protests as he hugs my legs. "Plus, Ava is coming over later and I already told her we have cheese."

"It's fine," I reassure them. "Auggie, Ava, Evie and I will stay here and you guys go on."

"I'm really liking having Maya around," Corey smiles. "Maybe she can stay over more often!"

"Ha.Ha." I say sarcastically and escort both out of the door. "Be good at work!"

As Ava, Evie and Auggie watched some cartoons in the living room I decided to do some laundry that I had found by the hall near the washer and drier. It was the least I could do since Corey and Topanga are busy parents, Riley isn't home, and I had nothing to do. I started out with Auggie's clothes and he insisted on separating his own undies so I wouldn't see them.