Chapter 33

M A Y A

Farkle has left, and mom is preparing dinner in the kitchen. She's in an awfully good mood, since for the first time it seems we are well financially stable. I don't want to ruin it, but she has to know sooner or later that Farkle is back in me and Evie's lives. And that he's here to stay.

"Dinner's ready!" I hear her call, just as I'm slipping on Evie's pink pijamas. I sip her up, and then tickle her tummy so that she giggles.

"Coming!"

I pick Evie up, placing her on my chest and carrying her so, so that her legs don't widen and they bother her when she's beginning to walk.

"Mom, I have some news-" I begin, but am cut off.

"Me too! Let's just wait for Shawn!"

I nod, realizing this is already hard and I haven't even told my mom about it. This feels like I'm telling her I'm pregnant all over again.

I place the baby on her lilac high chair, and go to retrieve a star teething toy from the fridge. I run it under hot water to warm it up a bit, then place a bib on Evie and hand her the toy.

"Need help?" I ask, placing on a spare apron. Mom nods happily, and then I am assigned to chop up the vegetables. The smell of tomato sauce comes in contact with my nose, and I turn to see a lasagna in the oven. Gee, mom must really be in a good mood. She usually uses the oven seldom once or twice a year.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, really concerned with this new behavior and all this fancy dinner stuff. I hand her the chopped veggies in a bowl, and she places them in a pan filled with boiling water.

"You'll see, baby girl!" She tells me, adding a big smile, and a quite laugh. I turn away, frowning to myself. I mean, I didn't think she'd be this happy for no reason. "Why don't you dress up? The Matthews will be up for dinner shortly."

"In that case, I'll go change Evie too." I respond, taking my daughter from the Hugh chair, and setting her teething toy aside to clean it later.

"I'll clean it for you!" Mom exclaims, taking the star from my hand, and turning to clean it with some hot water.

I leave before things get weirder, and focus on outfit ideas for baby and I. I place her in her crib, letting my phone sit in front of her as some cartoons play. She kicks her feet, letting me know she thanks me for doing so, and I smile rubbing my hand through her chubby tummy.

.....

I dress in a pair of mom jeans (haha get it), and then I place on a fitted off the shoulder black top, and a plain black choker. I settle on black booties for shoes and go on to dress Evie after.

I carefully pick her up, and as I'm beginning to dress her I see her cry as she attempts to place her fist in her mouth to bite on. I pick her up, and rub her back to soothe her crying. She stops, but I decide to retrieve her toy anyway so she's not in a crabby mood for dinner. Just as I reach the kitchen, I see my mom stirring the veggies and rub her stomach in circles while smiling. I freeze in my tracks with my daughter in arms. She turns to see my mom and bounces in my arms but before she can giggle I turn and go right back to my room. I place Evie in my bed and place pillows around her as I look for some teething numbing gel to soothe her.

Evie is not in any pain a couple minutes after and I proceed to change her. I'm deep in thought as I change her into her tiny clothes, thinking of my mom and her possible news bring that she's pregnant. It's hard enough being a mom, I can't imagine being a big sister on top of that and having to baby sit two children.

I shake the thought away, and hope it's not what I'm thinking.

I dress Everly in a tiny long sleeved off white dress, white tights, and some knee high socks. Lastly, I place the flower headband Riley gave her. I must say, I don't like headbands myself and much more the big dramatic ones, but they look so cute on Evie.