Chapter 6

M A Y A

M A Y A

Two months have passed since I found out I'm pregnant. I have yet to tell my parents, Riley and the gang, but most importantly the baby's father himself. I get so close at times to tell, but the fear consumes me and I don't. I can't. Sure, I've always wanted to be a mother, but not now. I'm only a senior in high school, and I have plans. I'm scared, I don't know what to do. Abortion is not an option and it hasn't crossed my mind. But, adoption has.

Right now, I'm researching to keep up with the baby's growth. It's the very least I could do for it, since I haven't seen a doctor at all. The baby is the size of a raspberry, weights about .04 oz,
and measures .63 inches.

I contemplated this information as I later lay down in bed trying to fall asleep that night.

The next day at lunch I noticed they were giving a fruit mix for dessert, and a raspberry was plopped on top. I picked up the fruit cup, and went to where I usually sit with the others.

As they all talked, joked around, and ate their burgers or pizzas I held the raspberry in my hand. I observed how tiny it was. The baby inside of me being this tiny, and my body so huge.

I felt stares on me. I dropped the raspberry into the fruit cup, and gave an awkward smile.

"What are you doing?" Zay asked.

"I'm looking at this raspberry," I explained. "Just looking." I caught a faint smell of smoke in the air.

"Do you guys smell that?" I asked, they all looked at me like I had four heads then shook their heads. "I definitely smell smoke, like a fire is giving off smoke."

"No," Smackle shook her head. "Nothing's burning, Maya."

I sniffed again. The air smelling of smoke even more now. It was coming from the kitchen.

"Guys, I'm so serious," I added pausing to see if they could catch the smell too. "It's coming from the kitchen."

"Nonsense. I know all about fires, it smells perfectly fine in here." Lucas commented, taking a huge bite of his burger after.

"Perfectly fine?" Zay made a face. I smile, thinking maybe Zay could smell it now. "It smells like stinky socks and fake meat."

"Maya, there is no-" Riley was cut of by the fire alarm.

"FIRE!" Someone screamed.