Part 62

T H I R D  P E R S O N

Lucas felt himself changing everyday. He didn't expect to see Smackle today at all, in act he hadn't seen her after he took her home after dinner at Maya's. As he talked to the girls, he kept looking over to Smackle. There was a bump now, making it obvious that she was pregnant. That he had gotten her pregnant. It was a relief to know she wouldn't abort the baby, but now he was left to deal with bringing a baby into the world.

Riley looked at Smackle too. It felt so weird to look at Smackle with a belly since she had always been so skinny. She watched how Smackle ran a hand over the bump slowly from now and then, and by the way Lucas noticed too she knew Maya had lied. It stung, but not as much as knowing her best friend had lied to her. Maybe it was to protect her, but it didn't matter. She had lied.

She watched Maya get in a cab to go home and decided she would confront her the next time she saw her.

Lucas and Riley bumped into each other after everyone had left in a hall of the building. He noticed the hurt in her eyes, and he knew she knew. She saw the realization in his, and knew he knew. They walked to each other, meeting half-way. For the first time in the last four months Riley looked at Lucas in the eyes, and there was no spark. Lucas looked back at her and that charm he once loved about her was simply not there. He didn't get the same thrill he once did from looking at her. She was still beautiful, but not like the first time. It was never like the first time anymore.

"So I know now.." She began. "I'm just surprised it took me this long."

"I'm sorry. None of us meant to hurt you." His apology was sincere, and it felt good to let it out.

"Just go be there for your kid, Lucas." She spoke softly, her fingers fidgeting nervously. This is what it felt like to let go. Just so many overwhelming emotions and peace all at once. Their voices were calm and there wasn't any tension. Two good friends were talking again, for the first time.

"If.." Then he began to ask the last question that contained the hope of their first time before being friends. "If none of this would have happened, would you and I still have a chance?"

"It's life." She shrugged, her hand grasping the knob of her apartment. "Only it gets to decide the chances, and it should be more than obvious who life is leading you to. Remember the feeling of that first time you kissed her, and then there's your answer."

_________________

M A Y A

"What the hell are you doing here, Lucas? It's three in the morning." I stepped aside, letting him step in. He took a seat on the couch and I took the one across from him.

"I went home and I couldn't sleep. I couldn't shut my eyes without seeing Smackle and her..baby bump." He sighed, the words coming out of him like a confession. "Then I saw Riley and she told me to remember what it was like when I kissed Smackle for the first time. All I could think about up until that was that it felt weird to love anyone that wasn't Riley. To feel the things I felt with Smackle that night even if she wasn't Riley."