Chapter 12

The next day was family day. I knew that Fairy Godmother had set up a video call between the VKs and their parents, but I didn't want to be there.

I was in my dorm room getting ready when someone knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Jane asked. We were both trying to get our hair curled. We wanted to look our best for family day.

“It's Jay and Carlos,” Jay's voice came through the door. She looked at me with big doe eyes.

“It's open Jay,” I said.

“Hey,” he said as the two walked in. Carlos looked like a kicked puppy. Jay just looked mad.

“What's wrong?” I asked.

“Video call with our parents. They aren't the warm and fuzzy type,” Jay said.

“I know. I'm sorry to hear it went that bad,” I said.

“It's not your fault,” Jay said, sitting on my bed with Carlos. They were both wearing tons of leather. Jay's was maroon and yellow, and Carlos was decked out in red and black.

“Still,” I said.

“Ciara,” Carlos said, looking at me. I turned in my seat to face him instead of my vanity.

“What's up?” I asked.

“You were on the Isle, weren't you?”

“Yeah,” I said. “Cindy and I are the same person.”

“I knew it,” he said, shoving Jay. There was an uneasy silence after that, created by Jay's anger, Jane's fear, Carlos’ terror, and my own anxiety.

“We have to go,” Jane said. “Ben's expecting us in ten minutes.”

“We have to catch up with Mal and Evie anyways. See you there,” Jay said, pulling Carlos to his feet so they could leave.

“Bye,” I said, standing up. “I'll see you there.”

“Bye,” Jay said as they left. I double checked my pastel blue outfit in the mirror before heading out the door to the courtyard with Jane.