Chapter 38

The series of meetings the next day got us nowhere. Fairy Godmother is the only one willing to foster kids. Well, her and Jay and I. Ben and Mal said they will once they're married.

“Let's get out of here,” Ben said. “Meetings are over, and we don't have to be back until Monday.”

“I'll see you then. Call if you need anything,” I said.

“Bye Ci,” he said getting into his car.

“Bye, Ben,” I said. I pulled my phone from my pocket and dialed Jay's number while getting in my car.

“Hey, beautiful,” he said.

“Hey, handsome. I'm leaving now,” I said. “I'll be home soon.”

“I'll be waiting. I love you babe,” he said.

“I love you too, Jay,” I said before hanging the phone up.

I got a sinking feeling in my stomach like something bad was going to happen, but dismissed it. I was happy to be spending the weekend with my fiance and nothing was going to ruin it.

I'd been driving for a few minutes when I came to an intersection. The car on the intersecting road had a stop sign, and I didn't. I continued through the intersection when the car on my left slammed into the driver's side door. The whole noise of the cars colliding really put the term “car crash” into perspective. I felt an immense pain in my left side, and tried to focus on something to keep me conscious. All the training I'd had hadn't prepared me for someone slamming into the driver's side door of my car.

Jay's face came to mind, keeping me grounded through the pain. His long dark hair and deep brown eyes. His chiseled features drew me in even more. I wanted to stay with him. I tried to focus on reaching for my phone, but I couldn't reach it. My body wouldn't move enough for me to grab it. I was hoping and praying someone would call 911.

I tried again to focus on Jay's image as the pain caused black dots to form in my vision. My whole body hurt and I wanted nothing more than to slip into the blackness. It seemed more peaceful in the darkness. I'd finally meet my mom's parents on the other side.

I chastised myself and tried to focus on Jay as the time ticked on. The pain got worse, and eventually, no matter how much I tried to avoid it, I slipped into the darkness.