Chapter 28

At breakfast, Jay and I sat beside each other across the table from Carlos and Jane. The two were really awkward, and Jay and I tried to help them out.

“So, what're we gonna do now?” Jay asked.

“Work,” I said. “And, doctor's visits.”

“For what?” Jane asked.

“Fairy Godmother thinks I may have cancer again,” I said.

“You had cancer before?” Carlos asked. I forgot we never told him.

“When I was a baby,” I said. “Fairy Godmother had to use magic to save me. That's why I went to the Isle. It was supposed to get rid of the magic in my veins. Anyways, we think that me going back may have completely erased the magic and brought the cancer back.”

“And you went back anyways?” Carlos asked.

“You guys are my friends, of course I went back,” I said. I leaned my head into Jay's shoulder and he wrapped his arm around me. Carlos and Jane just started at us like we were crazy for sitting this close together.

After we finished breakfast, we split up. Jay and I headed off to find Fairy Godmother and Jane and Carlos headed off to spend some time together.

“Are you nervous?” Jay asked.

“A little,” I said. “I think I'll be alright, though.”

“You might be, but if I lose you, I'll go crazy,” he said.

“I'm sure you will, Jay,” I said. It only took us another five minutes of wandering campus to find Fairy Godmother.

“We went back to the Isle,” I said.

“Do you have any idea how dangerous that was?” She asked.

“We did it to save Mal,” I said.

“I don't care who you were saving. You could've been killed,” she said.

“Says the one who sent me there for six months to cure me of the magic she put in me,” I responded.

“Lose the attitude,” she said.

“Yes, ma'am,” I said, knowing better than to disrespect her. Jay was just kind of standing near by. He wasn't involved in the conversation, but he was paying attention to it.

“I'm still sensing enough magic in you that you should be fine, but I won't know for sure without a full eval,” she said.

“That's some good news,” I said.

“Monday morning,” she said. “8:00 sharp. I'll call your mother and father and let them know what's going on.”

“Thanks you,” I said, hugging her.

“Go enjoy your weekend,” she said. I nodded before running over to Jay and jumping on his back for a piggy back ride.