Chapter 18

The next day around noon I started to get ready for coronation. I did my makeup and curled my hair before putting it in an updo. That took me like an hour and fifteen minutes. Once it was all said and done, I got dressed in my Cinderella blue dress and silver heels.

At promptly 1:30, I heard a knock on my door.

“It's open,” I yelled, knowing it was Jay.

“Hey,” he said as I stood up. “You look, wow.”

“Thanks, you look pretty handsome yourself,” I said. “Let's get going.”

Once we arrived at the palace where coronation was actually taking place, Jay and I stood off to one side, waiting for Ben and Mal to arrive.

“You can't possibly expect me to stand and act perfect this whole time,” Jay whispered to me.

“Just stand still, and smile. It'll be over soon enough,” I said. He rolled his eyes, but smiled anyways.

Ben and Mal walked by, and up to Queen Belle and King Adam. They talked for a minute before we all had to file into the building.

Coronation itself was pretty boring until Jane stole the magic wand, but I didn't say that.

“If you won't make me pretty,” Jane said. “I'll do it myself.”

“Jane, give me the wand,” Mal said calmly.

“Jane, you are in so much trouble,” Fairy Godmother said. Everyone else was freaking out. I stepped forward, around Jay who looked at me weird.

“Jane, give us the wand, please,” I said.

“Jane, I was wrong. You are beautiful already,” Mal said.

“She's right Jane,” I said. Jane finally gave Mal the Wand as Maleficent appeared in front of us with her stupid green smoke. She ended up zapping through the barrier, but no one noticed.

Mal tossed the wand at Fairy Godmother, who caught it and tried to send Maleficent back to the Isle. Maleficent, however, froze everything.

I don't remember any of what happened while we were all frozen. I do remember Mal trying to talk the others into being good.

“Jay, stealing stuff doesn't make up happy. Tourney and victory pizza with the team makes you happy,” she said.

“And Ciara,” he said.

“And Carlos,” she said. “Scratching Dudes belly make you happy.”

“Who would've guessed that?” Jay joked.

“E,” Mal said. “You don't need to play dumb to get a man to like you.”

“True,” Evie said.

“I choose good,” Mal said, sticking her hand in the middle of their circle that had formed.

“Just to be clear, we don't have to worry about how mad our parents are going to be, because they are going to be really mad,” Carlos said.

“They can't hurt you here,” Ben said.

“I'm in,” Jay and Carlos agreed.

“Me too,” Evie said, and they all made a pact to choose good over evil.

Maleficent had somehow shrunk down to a tiny little lizard. It apparently was the size of the love in her heart, and she wouldn't grow until she learned to love.

Eventually, everything calmed down, and we all headed over to the dance for a night of celebrating. We got to dance and sing together, while Ben and I enjoyed our last night as normal teenagers.

As were we slow dancing to “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, Jay asked me out.

“Hey, Ciara,” he said, snapping me from my thoughts.

“What's up?” I asked.

“Do you maybe want to be my girlfriend?” He asked nervously.

“I'd love to Jay,” I said before pressing my lips to his softly.