Chapter 21

We stole a limo, similar to the one that brought the VKs here six months ago. Jay drove it, and I sat in the front seat next to him. He parked the limo in a spot no one ever went, so it wasn't about to be found. They also covered it in tarps in attempt at hiding it.

Ben was being way too himself, so after all of thirty seconds on the Isle we had to stop and give him a crash course in how to be a VK.

“Either slouch or strut,” I said. “And you can't strut, so stick with slouching.”

“Keep your hands in your pockets,” Jay said. “Unless you're stealing stuff.”

“Lose the smile,” Carlos said.

“And the pleases have to go,” Evie added.

“I think I got it,” Ben said.

“You can't think you have it,” Jay said.

“You have to know,” I said.

“Just stick to the middle of us. Don't make eye contact,” Carlos said.

“Jay and Ci, lead the way. Ben follow them. Carlos and I are right behind you,” Evie said. Jay and I started walking side by side towards the one place we knew Mal would be. It felt weird having to strut like this again, but it only took me a few moments to fall back into the rhythm. I wanted nothing more than to take Jay's hand in mine like we do when we walked down the hall of Auradon Prep.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize Ben had somehow managed to be spotted by Gil, son of Gaston.

“Hey, I know you guys,” Gil said.

“No you don't,” Ben said turning his back to Gil. I lowered my eyes slightly, but stayed tense where I was. My instincts, which I have been suppressing for a while, were starting to take over and I knew this wasn't going to end well.

“Yes, I do,” Gil said, looking over to the poster of King Ben that was hanging on the wall.

“No you don't,” Jay hissed, taking a protective stance in front of me.

“He's King Ben. You're Jay, and Evie,” that was all we needed to hear before we took off running towards the hideout where Mal was.

“Straight up to the top,” Jay said, throwing a rock to lift the gate that led to the hideout.

“Wish me luck,” Ben said nervously. I saw him slide his ring off his finger and fidget with it.

“Ben,” Evie said, stopping him about three steps up. “Good luck.”

We all knew Mal didn't want to come back, but if anyone could convince her, it would be Ben.