Chapter 15

“Ciara,” my parents said, standing up from double checking my brother to make sure he was okay. He had woken up, and would be fine.

“I don't think you should continue to see that boy,” my father said.

“Why?” I asked. “Because he stood up for his friend when a guy hit her?”

“He attacked your brother,” my mother said.

“He was great when I was the one he was protecting. And, for the record, Chad had that coming,” I said. “He never should have laid his hand on Evie.”

“Ciara,” my mother warned.

“I'm sorry,” I said, looking to the ground. I wasn't truly sorry, but just saying it would get me out of trouble.

“What do you see in him?” My father asked.

“It's kind of like your situation in reverse,” I said. “Mom was a maid when you met her. I don't think Grandfather was very happy that you fell in love with a maid. Just, give him a chance please. He's had a bad day.”

“One more chance. Nothing beyond that,” my father said.

“Thank you,” I said, hugging each of my parents.

Family day ended shortly after all that went down. My parents said goodbye to my brother and I before they left. Chad and I walked back to our dorms together.

“You need to get rid of him,” Chad said. “He's not good for you.”

“Audrey's not good for you,” I said. “Mom and Dad are giving him a chance. You need to also.”

As we walked by the picnic tables, I noticed that all our friends were at one table, gossiping about the VKs who were sitting at the next table. Chad ran over to the first table and I headed to the second one. Doug followed me.

“Ciara, Doug,” my brother called after us.

“Shut up Chad,” I shot over my shoulder.

Jane said something about Ben going through a bad girl phase, and Mal undid whatever she had done in the first place to Jane's hair.

“There's a lot more where that came from,” Mal said before getting up with the others and walking away before I got it talk to them.