Chapter 40

“Ciara Charming,” the doctor said, and we all tensed up.

“Yes,” Prince Charming said.

“Who are you?” The doctor asked.

“We're her parents and this is her fiance,” Cinderella said, wiping her eyes.

“And the rest of them?” The doctor asked.

“I'm King Ben. Ciara is my Royal Advisor,” Ben said.

“The rest of us are her friends,” Mal said, taking a step back and motioning the others across the waiting room. Ben followed, not wanting to interrupt the moment.

“I'm really sorry, we've done everything we could. Fairy Godmother didn't get here in time. I regret to inform that Ciara is dead,” the doctor said.

“Are you sure? I mean, maybe it's not Ciara,” Cinderella said.

“She's gone. I can feel it,” I said, collapsing into one of the chairs. “Her spirit is gone.”

My head fell into my hands and I sobbed. I don't know how long I sat there crying my eyes out over the girl I loved. She was really truly gone. I'd never again see her bright smiling face. She'd never again take me as her date to some very official Royal ball. Her voice would never again wake me from my sleep. I let all our memories come flooding back. Everything from when we met to our last I Love You.

“Jay, there's something else,” Charming said. “You need to hear this.”

“What?” I asked through sobs.

“Ciara was pregnant. Just over eight months pregnant,” Charming said. “They were able to save your son. He's in the NICU. Did you know she was pregnant?”

“I don't think she knew she was pregnant,” I said. “Can I see him?”

“Yeah, we're headed upstairs right now if you want to join us,” he said. I stood up and followed the grandparents of my son upstairs.

I had to fill out tons of paperwork and stuff before they even let me near him. I guess they needed insurance and stuff even though she was the Royal Advisor.

“Here he is,” the nurse who walked me back said.

“Hi, baby boy,” I said. He was small. I didn't know how I was going to do this, but I'd figure it out.

“I know you just found out about him, but he does need a name,” the nurse said before leaving me and the Charmings alone with him.

“Did she ever say anything to you about what she wanted to name her son?” I asked.

“She always liked the name Connor. Maybe you could call him CJ or something,” Chad said. He had showed up a few minutes after we found out.

“Connor Justice,” I said. “That kind of sounds dumb.”

“Connor Justice is actually a great name,” Cinderella said. “I like it a lot.”