Chapter 25

I was in the middle of curling my hair when there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?"

"It's me babe," Jay yelled.

"It's open," I said, and he walked in. "Take a seat."

"Why didn't you tell me about you being sick?" He asked.

"I'm going to," I said, setting the curling wand down. "When I was just under a year old, I was diagnosed with cancer. It had already been determined that I would be Ben's Royal Advisor. That meant Fairy Godmother had to do everything in her power to keep me alive. She cured me via magic, but said that I had to go to the Isle of the Lost on my fifteenth birthday. It was supposed to cure me of the magic coursing through my veins. They had originally planned for me to be on the Isle for a whole year before returning and starting work as Ben's Royal Advisor. After my six month check-up with Fairy Godmother, she decided that if I stayed any longer on the Isle the effects of the magic would be completely reversed, and my cancer would return."

"Babygirl," he said, wrapping his arms around me as I started to tear up.

"I can't cry. I don't have enough makeup to cover up my face if I cry," I said.

"You look beautiful no matter what," he said. "Being back on the Isle didn't hurt you did it?"

"I won't know until after cotillion," I said. "Fairy Godmother won't see me until after this dies down."

"I have to go get ready. You need anything before I go?" He asked.

"Nope," I said, hugging him one last time before Jane came running into the room.

"You'll never guess who just asked me to cotillion," she shrieked.

"Carlos?" Jay and I asked together. She nodded like crazy as she pulled her hair from the ponytail to start getting ready. Jay left and I finished getting ready for cotillion so I could be there early to help with everything.

I waterfall braided my bangs back and finished up some curls. I did my makeup fairly simple. Evie gave me a headband that had simple diamonds and matched my dress perfectly. I got dressed in my lavender ball gown before heading over to the location of the dance.

Everyone else showed up and got to walk the red carpet. I just hung out near the entrance waiting for Jay.

"Hey beautiful," he said, wrapping his arms around me in a hug.

"Hey," I said, returning the hug. "You look really nice."

"Thanks," he said, spinning dramatically. I laughed at his antics as Evie and Doug walked in.

"Oh my gosh, Evie," I squealed.

"I know right," she responded. I heard Jay say something to Doug about girls being a foreign language.

"You look so beautiful," I said, hugging her.

"So don't you," she said. "Your's is one of my favorite dresses."

"I'll be sure to let the designer know," I said, causing us both to laugh since she was the designer.