Chapter 34

The next evening was graduation. At about 4:00, I started to curl my hair and get ready. We had to be ready and arrive at the school by 6:30.

I was wearing a lavender dress that had a skater skirt like bottom and the top was fitted. My hair was curled and my makeup was absolutely perfect. Jay showed up about 6:00 so we could walk to the Auditorium together.

“Hi, Ci,” Chad said, walking up to us as we made our way across campus. Audrey was attached to his arm. No surprise there.

“Hey, Chad,” I said.

“Did you hear what Mom got us?” He asked.

“Nope, and please don't tell me,” I said. “She will when the time is right.”

“You're no fun,” Chad said.

“Seriously though,” Audrey said.

“Audrey, please leave,” I said.

“Why, so you can be alone with that abusive a-hole?” She asked, motioning towards Jay.

“Leave him out of this,” I said, grabbing his hand to calm both of us down.

“Why?” She asked. “He isn't good for you.”

“Audrey, leave,” Jay said through gritted teeth.

“Audrey, we've been through this. You need to worry about your own life, because you know nothing about the relationship Jay and I have,” I said.

“Well Ciara, you need to not be such a bitch,” she said.

“Chad, take your girlfriend and leave,” Jay said.

“No,” he said.

“Chad, leave, or I'll tell Mom you've been sneaking out to make out with Audrey,” I said.

“No,” my brother said.

“C'mon Jay,” I said, walking away from the other two. “Don't let him bother you.”

“It's not him,” Jay said.

“Ignore Audrey,” I said. “Everyone else does.”

The actual graduation ceremony was really boring. It was mostly just listening to people talk. I almost fell asleep a few times.

Afterwards, we had a dance. It's was like a big celebration to enjoy the last night of our high school lives.

“Ciara, let's go,” Jay said. He led me out to the pavilion that had white lights all around it. You could just hear the music that was playing across the yard on the dance floor.

“What're we doing over here Jay?” I asked.

“Dancing,” he said as a slow song started to play through the speakers in the pavilion.

“I love you, Jay,” I said, dancing with him.

“I love you too, Ciara,” he said. He stopped dancing and grabbed my hands, staring into my eyes.

I felt myself blush a deep red color as his brown eyes stared deep back into my crystal blue ones. His eyes were so intense that I couldn't help but smile and look at my feet out of embarrassment.

“Why are you staring at me?” I asked, looking back up at him and smiling again.

“Because you're beautiful. And I really love you Ci,” he said. He got down on one knee, and I started freaking a little on the inside.

“What're you doing?” I asked, trying to stay calm.

“Just, hear me out,” he said, grabbing a ring box from his pocket. “I love you, a lot, Ciara. I know we're young, but we've been together for years. I want to take the next step. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Waking up to your bright smiling face every morning would make me the happiest man in the world. I already talked to your Dad. Ciara Charming, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?”

“I'd love to Jay,” I said, tearing up a little. He literally jumped to his feet and slid the ring onto my left ring finger. He pulled me into his arms and kissed me softly.