38.3

Never Enough

Soundtrack: Almost is Never Enough by: Ariana Grande ft. Nathan Skyes

note: if i were you, i'd play the song ;)

- JACIN -

"Okay, archers. Five-minute break." says our coach. Pumunta agad ako sa bleachers para humiga, uses my bag as pillow and fishes my phone out of it.

It's already 19:40, and I'm so damn tired.

I'm expecting a text from her but there's none. She should be home by now and probably eating dinner, or studying, or doing homework. Nag-reply na lang ako sa text ni Miles kanina, he's asking how's the training going and I type fucking tiring and hit the send button. I hit the back button next and open the conversation thread with June. I'm about to call her but coach shouted our break is over.

Tsk. I sit up and text her, Hey.

Off all the possible texts, I sent her a damn stupid hey. Mendes, what the fuck?

One more hour and finally, training is over. I tilt my head left and right, roll my shoulders and crack my fingers. They're all fucking aching.

I check my phone again, expecting a reply from June but there is again, none. I can feel my eyebrows frowning as I stare at my phone screen. Bakit hindi siya nagte-text?

What was she supposed to reply with that stupid hey anyway?

Should I text her again?

Nah. She might be studying. Disturbing her concentration is stupider than sending her hey.

Pumasok na lang ako sa kotse, giving my phone another quick glance. Well yeah, I'm still expecting her name to pop on the screen but it doesn't.

So I drive home.

~*~

I feel the phone vibrates against my grip, so I open my eyes and realize I fell asleep. Fuck, I have tons of homework to do and the training starts fucking early tomorrow.

Sure, we're exempted from quizzes and other projects but from homework? No, we're not.

My plan is to take a quick rest pero paghiga ko I feel more tired than ever, sleepier even and I unintentionally do, while waiting for June's reply.

I can't help but smile when I see her text—the reason why the phone vibrates—and that smile grow bigger. It's just a stupid hey, but her reply is long, like a little kid telling her parents about how her day went.

Cute.

I call her. Hell, kanina ko pa siya gustong tawagan.

She answers after several rings.

<"J-jacin..."> Her voice feels right... and God, I feel right for the first time this day.

"Hey..." Fuck, wala na ba kong ibang alam sabihin kundi hey? Mendes, wtf?

<"Kakagising mo lang?"> she asks, sounding genuinely concerned and my chest feels warm.