Carlos Correa

for Emma J_Baez9

Emma had been the Astros ball girl for about a year. her job was easy - giving the umpires a handful of baseballs when needed, gathering wasted balls, and being a helping hand towards the players.

by the term "helping hand," it meant that she collected elbow guards, ankle guards, baseball gloves, and even broken pieces of baseball bats.

she was a key coordinator while in the dugout, but not once was she ever praised for her patience for taking care of men a little older than her.

Emma stayed rather quiet in the dugout. she didn't speak unless spoken to and didn't dare try to make herself well-known.

none of the players or coaches ever acknowledged her and it didn't make things better when she felt herself developing a crush for the Astros beloved shortstop, Carlos Correa.

the only reason why - he actually noticed her. he thanked her for collecting his accessories or giving him his extra baseball bat.

"thank you," Carlos mumbled to Emma after she had given him a new bat when the bat he was currently using cracked.

Emma's sudden loss of words prevented her from responding and she lowered her head further so he wouldn't see her blush.

retreating back to the dugout, she disposed of the broken lumber and sat in her usual spot - away from the team and focused on Carlos's at-bat.

she hated the fact that she was crushing on Carlos, but could never find the opportunity to at least say one word to him without choking up or getting severe body heat.

Carlos doubled his way on base, meaning that Emma would have to run onto the field to take over his shield protectants and gloves.

"I really appreciate this, Emma," Carlos told her as he handed her his elbow and ankle guard.

"you, you know my n-name?" Emma finally asked while waiting for Carlos to take his batting gloves off.

Carlos gave her a small smile. "why wouldn't I? you're a really big helper," he responded with a small wink before returning back to second base.

Emma quickly scurried off the field and ignored the looks she was receiving from the other players in the dugout.

maybe they were looking at her or were not, but Emma's paranoia always made her believe that they were.

regardless, she felt she was invisible to all of them until Carlos.

after the game, Emma had changed from her required uniform and was on her way of exiting the club house.

"Emma!" she heard a male voice shout from behind her.

she hesitated to turn around, confused as to why someone would be calling her since she wasn't one to speak to.

"huh?" she turned her head and saw Carlos Correa running to catch up with her. "...Carlos?"

he smiled at her, and the bright pink returned to her cheeks and she was certain her tongue became swollen.

"I'm glad I caught up with you," he said. "here, this is from the team and I," Carlos held out a wrapped gift.

"w-what is this f-for?" the heat from her cheeks and stutter was making her lose her focus on having a simple conversation.

"open it," Carlos encouraged.

he watched as Emma's shaking fingers fiddled with the gift paper, ripping the content to reveal the Anastasia Beverly Hills Sugar Highlight palette.

she looked back up to Carlos in confusion, waiting for a reasoning.

"um, it's for your one year anniversary of being here with us. helping out and all. we thought that maybe you glam up on your own time so this is the only thing I could think of," Carlos explained to Emma.

"I thought you said this was a team thing?" Emma tilt her head.

Carlos's forehead embedded a bit. "well, we, I, wanted to thank you for taking care of us even if we might not show it,"

Emma held the palette in her hands and a small smile formed in her lips. "that isn't part of the job requirements though,"

she only lied to make Carlos feel that it was no big deal, but it still did bother her.

"I'm going to treat you just like I treat everyone else around here," Carlos shrugged. "and by that, I would like to get to know you so you and I could talk,"

Emma's heart trembled, her stomach flipped, and her face heated up again. she didn't know how to respond on Carlos wanting to befriend her.

"w-what do you wanna know?" Emma looked down and pulled a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I could ask you, over an...ice cream date, maybe?"

if Emma's cheeks weren't already on full pink, they brightened so much more at that moment.

"let's forget that we work for a baseball organization. you'll know more about me, and I can learn about you," Carlos added.

"I'd like that," Emma finally answered. "but it's on me, especially after you bought this palette for me,"

"whatever works. just so I could see your blush and hear that cute stutter," he winked at her.

sorry if you don't like makeup, but I hope you liked this Emma Bear!