Alex Bregman | 11 |

for Sydney 70sdun

"Cody? do you have all of your toys picked up?" Sydney entered the chaotic room of her four-year-old son.

"no," the brown-eyed child frowned tricking, hoping his mom would cave and clean up.

Sydney smirked at her son's puppy eyes and sat cross-legged on the floor in front of him. Cody observed her movements.

he watched her drag his play box close to them and use her long arms to gather his scatted toys into a pile.

"didn't I tell you that if you wanted to play outside, you had to clean inside first?" Sydney tossed his toys into the bin.

Cody smiled small and copied his mother's action, throwing the toys into his box as if he were shooting basketballs.

"where's Bup-Bup?"he asked once all the toys were cleaned off the floor. "outside?"

"he's almost home," Sydney told him. "do you want him to play with us outside, too?"

Cody's face lighted up as he nodded his head, his falling hair curls bouncing around his head.

Sydney's boyfriend, Alex Bregman entered into the home where she and Cody were in the kitchen. they had prepared light snacks while waiting for Alex.

"Bup-Bup!" Cody shrieked, jumping down from the counter and leaping into Alex's arms.

Alex responded by lifting him into the air and spinning in circles. "little Bup!"

Sydney watched in delight, never tiring of the bond between her son and boyfriend.

Bup-Bup and little Bup were the respected nicknames Alex had created when he first entered into Cody and Sydney's life.

Alex was not the biological father of Cody, so telling Cody to refer to him as 'Dad' was a bit uneasy on Alex's part.

Cody's real father was in the picture, but Alex was there everyday with Cody. however, he could never show disrespect to Sydney's old lover.

the biological father of Cody was Sydney's ex-boyfriend, Christian Yelich.

he and Alex weren't always the greatest friends and hardly knew each other, but they were familiar with one another when it came to Sydney and Christian's son, Cody Yelich.

the night Sydney and Christian officially ended their relationship was the same night she met Alex. luckily, the two men didn't meet each other then.

it was a June night in 2017 and Alex along with the rest of the Astros were in Miami.

the Astros and Marlins were set for a three-game series where it would be the last time Sydney would watch Christian play in a Marlins uniform.

"we're really going to do this?" Christian murmured into his hands, frustration evident.

"we just need to better ourselves, Christian. figure out what needs to be figured out," Sydney responded.

"we have problems, Sydney. I get that," he said. "but that doesn't mean you decide to give up and separate,"

"I'm not giving up. the both of us are growing in different directions and whatever this is, it isn't working,"

Christian took his Marlins cap off and threw it on the sofa inside the locker room. just he and Sydney were in the room alone after Christian asked for time alone.

"what are you gonna tell Cody? he's going to know and wonder why I'm not around," Christian sighed.

Sydney shook her head. "I'm not going to keep you from him. you're his dad, and he loves you,"