George Springer | 8 |

for Quinlynne strangerpolarize

it was the day before Quinlynne's senior year and her best friend, Jake Marisnick was forcing her to wake up before noon.

her last day to sleep in and Jake insisted that she be over at his house before it was lunch time.

Jake knew that this would piss her off, but yet he was still bold enough to call Quinlynne at eleven in the morning to make sure she was waking up.

he knew she was going to "forget" to set her alarm and roll up to his house whenever she could find the will to roll out of bed.

despite her best efforts, she was walking into his house at twelve sharp.

"this better be good, Jake, I swear if you –" Quinlynne froze when she rounded the corner and saw Jake standing up in front of George Springer, who was sitting down on the couch. "what the hell is this?"

"sit down next to George," Jake said, motioning to the spot next to his friend on the couch.

Quinlynne slowly approached the couch. as she did so, she removed her shoes. "seriously," she said, "what is going on?"

"just be quiet and listen," Jake said as he stared at her with a serious expression on his face, but his eyes were still light and bubbly.

she was able to relax a bit after looking into Jake's eyes – they told her that she had nothing to worry about.

Quinlynne sat down next to George. he didn't give her much room to sit so her leg was lightly pushing up against his.

he scooted over to give her more room without even looking in her direction.

"now, I know that you two aren't really close or anything, but this has to change," Jake said. "since I graduated, I'm not gonna be there anymore to keep an eye on you guys. I need you two to keep an eye on each other so I know you make it through your last year of high school in one piece,"

"I don't need anyone to keep an eye on me," Quinlynne interjected.

George huffed and silently agreed. Quinlynne could tell he was not happy with this set-up, and although she wasn't either, at least she was being civil about it.

"I don't need anyone to look after me. seriously, Jake? what's the big idea?" George stood up, but before he could completely stretch himself out, Jake shoved him back down by the shoulders.

"last year you both started to slip up. Quinn, you had rumors flying about you. George, you had the entire football team out for you. you guys just need someone there to back you up. and I want to make sure you guys don't feel alone," Jake explained.

Quinlynne rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms across her chest. she could clearly handle herself.

and those rumors were nothing – an ex-boyfriend just got upset is all. everyone says things they don't mean when they are angry.

Quinlynne looked at George and saw that he was sitting the same as her. last year was pretty rough for him; surely this whole meeting had to be directed toward her protecting George and not the other way around.

after George banged the drill-team captain, he was always getting in fights with her exes – which was pretty much all the starters on the varsity football team.

"I have plenty of friends, and George is welcome to join us if he'd like," Quinlynne volunteered as she flipped her hair back behind her shoulders.

"most of them graduated," Jake said.

"so? that makes more room for George, if he wants,"

Jake rolled his eyes. "I'm not going through this again," he said.