Kyle Tucker

for Melea RoyalMerrifield

with a small frown, Melea rolled her eyes at the illiterate little shits around her as she exited the school grounds.

she slung her bag over her shoulder as she plugged in her earphones, not bothering to look back at the campus.

after a hectic school year, she was thrilled to finally walk out of the high school forever and re-start at a new school.

"hey, M. you're all packed, right?" her father greeted her when she walked through the front door.

"yes, ever since the day you told us we were moving," Melea threw her bag into a box she had kept out for that sole purpose.

"you know, most teenagers get upset when they have to switch schools," her dad chuckled. "why are you being so civil about this?"

"this could be a good thing," she shrugged. "the kids at this school are annoying and this neighborhood is boring,"

her father kept his eyes on her as she began taping up leftover boxes.

"besides, I want my senior year to be great," she sighed.

"you won't start acting out if you do meet people you like, right?"

"no, Dad," she laughed. "but don't get mad at me if I end up having fun,"

"deal," her dad agreed. "now come on and let's start moving these boxes into the U-Haul. your mom will be back in a while with your favorite; fast food,"

the next day, Melea and her family drove down their street for the last time but neither of them were saddened at the moment.

even though the three of them had made trips to their new house a small number of times, they knew the new house and neighborhood was going to be their real home.

her dad drove their car into their new driveway with the U-Haul parking in the street and another car behind.

it was still early in the morning and the family decided to relax for a little while before waking the neighbors with excessive noise.

"who's that?" Melea asked her parents, pointing to the mysterious, black car.

"just a friend helping out," her dad answered. "he drove the car here,"

"why? who's car is it?"

she looked strangely at her parents when they gave each other side-eye glances.

"your father thought it would be better to make one big bill," her mom shrugged. "we were actually going to wait for your birthday,"

"so you don't have to spend all your time with us and for you making it to your senior year, here you go," her dad held out a loose key. "that car is all yours,"

Melea looked down at the key and back to her parents for a few seconds just to make sure they weren't lying. her hesitation amused them.

"don't you want to go sit in it?" her father asked, jiggling the key.

the car was the perfect fit for Melea and she couldn't refrain her whoops of joy when she finally believed that she had a car to call hers.

a man walked out from the house right next door to her home and smiled warmly, welcoming Melea's family into the neighborhood.

they shook hands and as Melea scoped over his house, she looked to the upstairs window and spotted a younger man staring at her from the glass.

she gave just the smallest smile and walked away to begin moving all the boxes into the house.