Alex Bregman | 8 |

for Sydney 70sdun

long time lovers Alex and Sydney decided to spend a weekend together in what felt like years.

with Alex's busy schedule and Sydney's inability to travel constantly with him, the both of them - Alex mostly - was determined to get alone time.

"are you sure I'm dressed okay for this special surprise?" Sydney stared at her reflection in their bedroom mirror.

she observed her ripped jeans and white blouse, unsure of whether or not her outfit was appropriate.

"babe," Alex stood behind her. "I picked this outfit out for the surprise. therefore, it's okay,"

"well the last time you picked out an outfit for me, I was overdressed,"

"yet, you still stole everyone's attention," Alex retorted.

"but - " Sydney began to speak before being interrupted.

Alex playfully bent over to bite her until settling down and assuring Sydney she looked amazing.

Sydney gathered her purse and sunglasses once it was time to leave and Alex turned to lock the door to their penthouse they shared.

before doing so, Alex patted down his pants pockets one last time before leaving.

part two of Sydney's surprise is what Alex was carrying in his pocket which he planned to give her during part one.

"are you okay?" Sydney asked, watching Alex's odd behavior.

"I'm fine," Alex answered, feeling her surprise in his pocket. "let's go. we don't wanna be late,"

Sydney sat in the passenger seat while Alex begin the drive where he looked to be going inward of downtown Houston.

the streets were hectic on the Saturday evening but the traffic was not going to cancel the plans Alex had made months prior.

his and Sydney's nine year anniversary was coming up and Alex wanted nothing more than to make the specific date meaningful.

he reminisced to his and Sydney's first date together which was the homecoming dance their freshman year of high school.

the both of them didn't remember much about that night however, the only image they remembered was slow dancing to Beyoncé's "Halo."

that song was the only one that got the both of them deeply into their feelings and once Alex learned Beyoncé was doing a show in her city and their new city, he quickly jumped into action.

"you know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation...always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper," Alex sang the final part of "Formation" during the ride.

"you sang that song with so much pride," Sydney laughed, watching Alex's attitude change to match the songs rhythm.

"I had to at least sound like Bey," he smirked. "look! we're here," he pointed towards the Toyota Center that was scattered with people all around.

Sydney looked at the building. "what's going on here?"

"people knew we were coming," Alex sarcastically chuckled.

Sydney was going to ask why there were so many people all over until she saw Beyoncé's name written in bold.

"Beyoncé's here?" she gasped.

Alex shrugged. "back on popular demand," he tried to keep calm but couldn't ignore the tingling sensation he always felt when Sydney was happy.

"you brought me to see Beyoncé?" Sydney asked just above a whisper, and to be sure.

memories flooded into her mind, knowing there was a certain Beyoncé song that represented specific events in her and Alex's relationship.

she remembered that magical night of their freshman year. slow dancing to Halo with Alex sparked the first milestone in their grown love.

they both enjoyed nothing more than playing Beyoncé's albums and dedicating songs to each other but as a whole, their song was "Love On Top."

even though the both of them didn't know Beyoncé personally and Beyoncé didn't know of their existence, she was a special part of their favorite music.

"are you coming," Alex laughed, smiling at Sydney's still-shocked reaction.

Sydney hesitated to follow at first but soon took larger steps, holding onto Alex's hand as they entered the Toyota Center.

excitement was evident on both their faces when they took their seats, waiting for the singer whose songs were so special to them to appear.

Alex checked his pockets once more, sat through the pre-show and finally, stood to his feet when it was time for Houston's own, Beyoncé.

fans started cheering, the music started playing, and Alex and Sydney sang every last song that was performed.

"we're gonna go back in time for a little bit, y'all," Beyoncé spoke into the microphone, panting.

both Sydney's and Alex's hearts fluttered, hoping to hear their song that constantly made them fall in love all over again.

once they heard the music play and Beyoncé hum "ba ba-ba," they knew.

"honey, honey. I can see the stars all the way from here, can't you see the glow on the window pane?" the both of them began to sing passionately together.

Love On Top would forever be their song and as Sydney watched Alex sing so uncontrollably and Alex watching her sing her heart out, nothing seemed better.

after the first chorus, Alex let Sydney sing solo while he recorded her.

"...boy your lips taste like a night of champagne..." she sang.

"now everybody asks me why I'm smiling out from ear to ear...but I know..." Alex chimed in, getting ready for the second chorus and swiftly digging into his pocket to retrieve Sydney's other surprise.

"baby it's you!" they began to sing the chorus again.

this time, Alex used one hand to hold Sydney's face gently and his other arm to hide the gift behind his back.

"you're the one I love," Alex said instead of singing. "you're the one I need, you're the only one I see,"

Sydney was confused with his change of behavior once she noticed Alex beginning to kneel down to one knee.

"you're the one that gives your all, you're the one I can always call," Alex continued, revealing the small velvet box that contained the most beautiful ring Sydney had ever seen.

"you put my love on top so Sydney, will you marry me?" Alex asked the question he wanted to ask for so long.

Sydney, who was blinking over and over again to make sure that Alex's proposal was really happening took a deep breath and small tears fell from her eyes.

she nodded yes, with her hands cupped over her mouth since she couldn't bring herself to speak.

Alex slid the ring over her appropriate finger and stood to his feet with a triumphant smile, holding his newly fiancée in his arms.

he thanked the bystanders around them who doused them with "congratulations!" and kissed Sydney with so much love he could pour out.

a few songs later, the beat to Halo began playing and Alex gave Sydney that look he did the night they first danced to the song.

just like that night, he placed his hands on her hips, Sydney wrapped her arms around his neck, and they danced the same way they did nine years ago.