José Altuve | 8 |

for Grace ForeverGrace0713

with a shit-eating grin on her face, Grace dragged her feet through the halls of her new high school while looking for her first period class.

she had no one to thank but her parents for forcing her to leave all her old friends behind and start her freshman year alone and unhappy.

"no hats please," a man in a suit who was walking in Grace's direction told her. "we don't want to give our visitor's the wrong impression,"

"go fuck yourself," Grace muttered under her breath, snatching her beanie that was resting on her head.

finally, Grace found her class and marched directly to the desks in the back. she sat in the corner and looked to see about five other students whose backs were to her.

Grace sighed as she looked down at the paper that had her class schedule printed on it, folding it back up when the bell rang and the left over students filled the room.

all the seats in the front of the class filled rather quickly. not one person headed to the back right corner where Grace was sat.

maybe it was the frown that Grace was making but she couldn't help it.

she just had a resting bitch face.

"whoa! close one," a boy who was on the short side exclaimed when he entered the room. he had nearly tripped over himself from running in and the teacher had already set a glare on him.

"José," the boy extended his arm for a handshake. "I'm in your class. did you have a good summer?" he asked the teacher.

he ignored the snickers coming from the classmates and kept his smile and handshake strong. the teacher hesitantly shook his hand and told him to take a seat.

José stretched his neck before walking towards the back of the room in the corner where Grace sat.

noticing all the other empty seats in the class, Grace rolled her eyes wondering why Jose had to sit directly next to her.

"start the first ten minutes getting to know your neighbor," the teacher instructed. "ask their name, how their summer was, all that good stuff,"

Grace rolled her eyes again and didn't bother looking over to José.

however, José took one glance over at Grace and didn't dare to start a conversation with her either.

when the teacher looked in his direction, he turned his body to make it seem as he and Grace were engaging.

"new kid?" José asked first.

Grace didn't respond.

"I'm José,"

Grace didn't say a word. she wondered why José was so energetic.

José turned away from her, almost afraid by her strong frown and silent treatment. he thought of switching to a new seat but didn't want to seem rude.

he'd try again with her one day. besides, he thought Grace was pretty cute. he was determined to figure out what was bothering her.

the next day, José took his place next to Grace and greeted her with a smile and wave.

Grace felt butterflies in her stomach but still didn't give in.

on the third day, Grace was homesick and missing her friends deeply. José entered the class and greeted her, "hey, classmate," with his usual wave.