Lance McCullers Jr.

not requested

Lance McCullers Jr. had fulfilled his lifelong dream of becoming a starting pitcher for Houston's beloved baseball team, the Houston Astros.

even though he was a Florida native, Lance considered Houston his home primarily due to the friendships and relationships he made throughout his young career.

Deisay was a childhood friend of Lance. they met in elementary school and continued their friendship over their course of growing up.

their friendship had been altered though. Deisay had moved early on to Houston with her mother when she was fifteen years old.

at the time, her and Lance knew they were more than friends. they were in an actual relationship.

they never asked one another if they could become a boyfriend or a girlfriend. they just knew they belonged to each other and referred themselves as a couple.

Lance struggled during his long-distance relationship with Deisay, but they tried to make it work.

"get a job, save up some money, and then take a trip to see her in Houston," Lance's dad would always tell him.

"you need to think of your future, Lance," his mom would say. "focus on baseball first, and then worry about finding her later,"

sure enough, Lance got a job and began stacking his money up to buy his plane ticket to Houston, Texas. he knew it would interfere with his tight baseball schedule, but it didn't matter to him.

"I'm not letting you go by yourself to Florida alone," Deisay's mom would always scold at her whenever she brought up the subject.

during her teen years, Deisay was already working strenuous hours and saving up just as much money to use her vacation time in Florida.

she needed to be with Lance. his letters and video-calling was never good enough for her.

"you can come with me!" Deisay would practically shout at her mother. "it isn't fair that you made me leave Lance and give up my life so I can move here,"

"when you're up and working at a real job, you can do whatever you want. until then, you follow my rules," her mother would smartly reply.

Lance and Deisay never missed a video call with each other. no matter the time, the occasion, their calls were always a priority.

they would even send photos of themselves as they grew older. high school pictures, sports pictures, or pictures in general. each of them saved the photos in a shoebox kept it in secret spaces.

and no matter how often their friends would try to hook them up with someone else, Lance and Deisay knew better to make the move.

they always thought of each other. and they thought they would know each other forever.

-

"caramel macchiato, please. with a blueberry bagel," a now twenty-four year old Lance said to a Starbucks barista.

Lance was in Houston's city district, stopping for his favorite coffee breaks before heading over to Minute Maid Park.

he was living the dream as he would call it. he was doing what he loved, what he worked hard for, and was showing it off every time he stepped onto the pitching mound.

but he was doing it alone.

he had forgotten about Deisay overtime. once he learned he was drafted out of high school and knew he would immediately be sent to the minor leagues, he didn't have time to do or remember anything.