José Altuve | 10 |

for Vanessa m_and_v_o2l

Vanessa and José were inseparable, attentive, and affectionate when it came to the level of their friendship.

they became friends when they were just ten, the day when José saved Vanessa from the bratty boy who had been tormenting her.

"he won't bother you anymore," José assured her, his child figure offering her half of his cookie.

Vanessa hesitated to accept the treat until José told her everything was okay.

with shaky hands and a small frown, she took the cookie.

"I'm Vanessa," she introduced herself.

"I know," José replied. "I heard it when Ralphie was picking on you," he finished his cookie in two bites.

Vanessa was slightly uncomfortable with his response. José noticed and scooted closer to her on the stairs they were sitting on.

"I'm José," he said. "and you don't have to be afraid of Ralphie anymore,"

"how do you know?"

he smiled. "because I'll always be close behind,"

José stuck by those words for the next eighteen years of their lives.

throughout the time, they settled in being close friends but their relationship had been altered each year they got older.

their constant joking and quick exchanges hinted that they both had deeper feelings for each other.

but they never dared to express them.

"what do you think of Vanessa?" is what guys would ask José during their teen years.

José wasn't satisfied with the male attention Vanessa received but was still unsure of how he really felt about her and their friendship.

"I don't know," was always his response before walking away.

furthermore, Vanessa wasn't thrilled with all the girls who hung all over José - drooling over his looks and athleticism.

even though she always stated they were just friends, she was always bothered by the prospect of a random girl getting too close.

"will you come cake tasting with me today?" a now twenty-eight year old Vanessa asked José.

José mentally rolled his eyes and frowned without her seeing. doing something like that was the last thing he wanted.

"where's Sebastian?" he looked at her, feeling like poison had just come from his mouth.

"working," Vanessa mumbled. "he's out in the drilling fields,"

"probably drilling other women," José thought.

it had been eighteen years and neither Vanessa or José had admitted their true feelings.

they remained caring friends but in the time, José had to watch the girl he wanted fall in love with get engaged to another man, Sebastian.

José's behavior around Sebastian should have been enough to tell Vanessa that he knew Sebastian wasn't right for her, but she read wrong.

"Vanessa, he hasn't helped you plan at all for this wedding. he's the one that needs to be here," José replied a bit too harshly.

"he just tells me to get whatever I think is best," Vanessa shrugged.

"but it's his wedding, too. don't you see the problem?"

"José," she sighed. "if you don't want to come cake tasting, you can just say so,"