Preston Tucker

for Reasie archerland

Rease had been friends with Preston Tucker since the day he first moved on her street when she was in middle school.

they didn't speak at first, but that all changed quickly once Rease learned Preston made friends with her already existing group.

they instantly clicked, becoming even closer since they were neighbors anyway.

while their group of friends parted ways once they all started high school, Rease and Preston still remained best friends even with everything that came afterwards.

"my mom thinks we're dating," Preston would always tell Rease. "she's always telling me that you're the right one,"

"I know! my mom thinks I like you because I talk about you so much. it's like she knows nothing about best friends," Rease would tell him right back.

Rease did always share stories about Preston to her mother. primarily due to the fact he was all she hung out with.

Preston's mother adored Rease. she always knew she could count on her to cheer on Preston at his baseball games when she couldn't make it.

furthermore, their favorite thing to do together was going to the lake a couple of miles away from their street to talk about their futures.

"I'm serious Reasie," Preston would say. "once I make it into the big leagues, you better say good stuff about me in the paper since you want to be a writer,"

Rease would respond by throwing her head back, laughing. "geez, Preston. if you want to be like that, you better give me season tickets so I can say good things,"

"do you ever think what would happen? like if we actually don't make it in what we want? like, if it's not meant to be?"

"don't talk like that," Rease would scoff. "we have dreams. and you always said we have to chase them,"

"what about us?" Preston always asked. "we'll still be friends, right?"

Rease would smile at him and lead him down into the lake where they would both soak their feet.

"you and I are like peas and carrots. we'll be fine,"

six years later and Preston and Rease were still as close as they ever were. they both finished college and both got the jobs they had planned when they were teenagers.

Preston was playing baseball, and Rease was covering the sports stories while also doing some sports broadcasting.

they did have to spend a couple of days apart at times but once they were reunited, it was never-ending, early in the morning conversations that would have.

finally, the both of them were given breaks at the same time and they agreed on returning home to visit their families.

Preston was a bit odd the whole way home, finally realizing that his mother was right about Rease all along. she was the right one, and he felt as if he needed to tell her.

Rease was excited about taking another trip down to the lake the way her and Preston always had, finally having the chances to talk about their careers that they planned at the exact spot.

"you ready to go on our mandatory lake trip?" Preston stood outside of Rease's house.

they hadn't been home two hours and Preston was as eager as ever.

"are the blankets still in the back of your truck?"

Preston grinned. "haven't moved in six years,"

the stars shimmered across the lake water as Preston and Rease both laid down the blankets over the grass.

just as always, they laid side by side on their backs with Preston's radio playing their favorite music, and gazed up at the stars.

"you seemed overly excited to come back out here tonight," Rease mentioned.

she felt Preston shrug besides her. "we would always come out here at this time. and then forget about the time and nearly fall asleep out here," he laughed.

"it hasn't changed a bit," Rease sat up and looked at the surrounding lake view.

"yeah," Preston agreed. "hey, do you remember that one time we came out here during senior year, and I asked you what you thought would happen to us?"

"if we would still be best friends?"

"and then you said, we were like "peas and carrots?""

they both shared a small laugh, mainly because it made Preston sound a bit weird.

"why are you bringing that up for?" a giggling Rease asked.

"because we have been peas and carrots. six years later and we've been with each other every step of the way. that calls for something,"

Rease tilt her head. "what are you saying? that I need to give us a new nickname?"

"I've already thought of new ones," Preston answered.

"what are they?"

"boyfriend and girlfriend,"

Rease jerked her head in Preston's direction in awe. slowly, Preston sat up next to her and matched her cross-legged sitting position.

"I mean, come on Reasie. you've kind of been my girlfriend this entire time. and in case you didn't know, I was yours," he explained.

"you're saying that we've been together this entire time? all these years we've known each other?"

"I'm not sure on how you always felt about us, but I know that I still want to be your best friend. I just want to add "boyfriend" on that list too,"

Rease bit her lip and kept her gaze on Preston. she wasn't expecting to come out to the lake the way they always had to talk about this.

in other words, she never would've imagined having this conversation with Preston at all. he was her best friend, but he was everything she could've ever asked for.

"you already know everything about me and I don't feel like meeting any other girl. so, will you be my girlfriend, Rease?" Preston waited nervously for Rease's final answer.

Rease smiled. "just as long as you add girlfriend to your list, I'll add boyfriend to mine. so, yes,"

they gave each other wide smiles, scooting closer and laying back down on the blanket.

Preston turned to finally hold and kiss her, ignoring the fact that he should've done it a long time ago.

Rease was impressed to say the least. and even though it took her a long time to realize that she actually did like Preston, she was glad she finally did.