Jake Marisnick | 5 |

for Nani nani_ynvr

for the past year, Nani and Jake Marisnick have communicated via texting, phone calls, social media, and video chats.

never once have they physically met in person, and the amount of texts, voicemails, and photos were not enough for Nani to handle.

it all started at a Red Sox game when the Astros were in Boston for a series.

Nani, a Massachusetts resident attended a game and was seated on the third base line when she spotted Jake.

the way his brown locks bounced as he ran on and off the field and charming looks made her mentally remember his last name and jersey number.

once she found him on Instagram, she decided to be a good sport and give him the credit she felt he deserved.

"hello, Mr. Marisnick. obviously we're strangers but I like to credit where it's due so with that being said, I decided to message and tell you that you're an incredible outfielder. you may or may not see this message, and that's fine. but take care, and good luck!"

Nani was impressed with her decision to message a professional athlete but she didn't consider it to be "shooting her shot."

yes, she did find Jake attractive but of course there was more to him than just that.

suddenly her phone buzzed and she stared at her screen, blinking over and over at what the notification was.

"don't leave so fast! I thank you for the compliment, it's really a spirit-lifter. and we don't have to be strangers! I'm Jake. it's nice to meet you!"

frantically, Nani tired to think of the perfect response that sounded just right. she didn't want to sound too dry or too excited.

but then again, that would be anyone who got messaged back from an athlete. it was just the way Jake's words were...

"I'm Nani. yes, it is nice to meet you. I'm surprised you responded back to me though. but of course, you're very welcome, Mr. Jake," she typed back.

a couple minutes later, there was another buzz.

"Nani, that's a pretty name. pretty, and unique. and of course I'm going to message and thank you. compliments do mean a lot. oh, and you can just call me Jake :) I'm not that old,"

"well, then...Jake. what are wearing?" Nani hoped Jake caught on to her lame joke.

"uhhh...khaki's?"

she laughed at his sense of humor and continued to message Jake until she had fallen asleep.

however, the game when Nani noticed Jake was the series finale. that meant that Jake and the rest of the Astros were scheduled to fly to a new city to kick off a whole new series.

they weren't sure when they would be able to see each other, especially since Nani lived up east and Jake resided in Houston.

Jake was busy and it was hard for Nani to just pick up and take a trip to Houston.

"do you think we'll actually see each some time? or keep playing around?" Nani asked Jake one day during their nightly video chat.

"we'll see each other, Nani. don't worry too much about it. most definitely when we're back in Boston, you could see if you could make it to a game?"

"I hope," Nani shrugged.

she did live in Massachusetts but she didn't live in Boston, specifically. she lived a few hours outside of the city so it wasn't like Fenway was down the street from her.