Alex Bregman | 3 |

for Jess -cargooo5

"Alex, how do you feel on today's victory?" Jess, an Astros reporter asked Alex Bregman during a post-game interview.

Alex gave her a small grin and answered, "I feel great. this team is great. we're each contributing and it's definitely paying off,"

Jess smiled at his response and looked down to make sure her recorder was working properly. when she looked back up, Alex still had his gaze on her.

it was cut off when the next reporter asked him a question and when he was asked questions on top of other questions, Jess squeezed out of the chaos feeling that her recordings were good enough.

as Jess was gathering her notes together neatly, her boss approached her. "I want you to do a one-on-one interview with Bregman," he said.

frantically, Jess immediately created a set of questions that would be simple to answer.

she really didn't want to keep Alex any longer at the stadium than what he was already staying.

"thank you for spending extra time here with us, Alex Bregman," Jess welcomed Alex when he sat in front of her for his interview.

"thanks for having me," Alex said. "what was your name again?"

"Jess,"

Alex smiled. "thanks for having me, Jess. it feels great to be here,"

Jess couldn't help but notice the sweet smile her gave her, a slight blush spreading on her cheeks.

Alex noticed and it made him feel a little more relaxed.

the both of them went on to have a fun, laughable interview with each other.

Jess asked her questions and Alex added humor to every single one of his responses.

their whole interview was filled with laughs and it only allowed Jess to ask five questions the most.

after time was up, Alex took his time exiting the interview room due to his continued conversation with Jess.

"you really know how to keep an interview exciting," Jess told him.

"well, you asked interesting questions," he shrugged.

"do you get asked the same questions all the time?"

Alex nodded. "it's like, a never-ending cycle. I'm just thankful I have someone like you to take the edge off things. everyone else is so serious,"

"oh," Jess was shocked. "well, thank you, Alex. I'm happy we could have a laugh together,"

"hopefully more. maybe we can have another interview together?"

Jess grinned. "we'll see,"

-

the next day, Jess reported back to work preparing her questions for the post-game interviews and waited to hear the player she'll be interviewing later that day.

"hey," a voice sounded from behind her.

Jess tensed her shoulders up and turned around. "Alex,"

Alex greeted her with a smile. "hey, Jess. is there another interview today? just us?"

"it's not on my schedule as of now," she smiled back with a hint of sadness.

"too bad," Alex frowned. "do you think we'll ever have another?"

Jess laughed. "I'll definitely make some time for one. or else I'll be in the locker room with the other reporters,"

"I prefer the first choice," he grinned.

"I'll look forward to it,"

Jess and Alex went on to have three more one-on-one interviews together that revolved around the two of them continuing to share laughs.

outside of the interviews, they shared jokes, stories, and secrets.

it was safe to say that they were slowly getting closer with each other. and then it began to get slightly noticeable when Alex constantly requested for Jess each time he was asked questions from reporters.

"do you not like the reporters or something?" Carlos Correa asked him one day. "you always keeping asking for that one girl,"

"her name is Jess, Carlos," Alex told him. "and she's honestly one of the best reporters we have here. she's easy to talk to,"

"she's just asking you questions, dude," Carlos said. "what's so special about her questions?"

"they aren't just questions. it's like having a regular conversation with her. we laugh, we smile, we talk after the interviews are over. she is what is special,"

Carlos stared amusingly at Alex. "it sounds like you like her,"

Alex just shrugged. "it's like I said. she's easy to talk to, she's special, and she makes me laugh. what else could I ask for?"

"shooters shoot, man," Carlos patted his back. "good luck,"

Jess stood outside the interview room fixing her tape recorder and notes when Alex came up to her and smiled, the way he always did when around her.

he saw the blush that was always present on Jess's cheeks and felt gifted that he was able to make her feel special.

he could tell that she was somewhat shy at first, but she quickly overcame it and he noticed her increase in confidence.

"we don't have time for an interview today," Jess told Alex.

Alex slumped his shoulders down. "I had time today, too. this sucks,"

"you seem to always have time when it comes to interviews," said Jess.

"for your interviews, yes," Alex laughed. "for everyone else, I'm in a hurry to get somewhere,"

Jess shared what felt like the millionth laugh with him. "well, yeah, it sucks. I don't have the time to do it today but maybe some other time,"

Alex thought for a second and then remembered what Carlos told him.

shooters shoot.

"by any chance, do you know if you'll have any extra time outside of the clubhouse?" he plucked up his courage.

"you want to do an interview somewhere else outside of here?" Jess wondered.

"not an interview," Alex's nerves were rising. "somewhere were it can be you and I again, laughing, not having to be professional. maybe do some eating and finding out more about each other?"

Jess's heart began to thump and she felt her eyelashes flutter. her blush had come back when the words left Alex's lips and she felt as if she wouldn't be able to speak.

"like a date?" she finally was able to ask.

"or the two of us enjoying each others company," Alex stepped a little closer to her.

Jess blushed some more, causing a giggle from Alex. "it's a date then," she smiled.