Charlie Morton | 2 |

not requested

Deisay Marqúez rolled positively out of bed on a Saturday morning, spreading out her bedroom drapes to welcome in the dull weather.

she stretched and yawned and headed into her bathroom, washing her face and scrubbing her teeth to begin her weekend job.

dog-walking wasn't really considered an appropriate job for Deisay's age which was a young twenty-eight but if there was one thing she preferred, it was dogs over people.

and besides, Deisay had a good regular job with her priorities in line. she could do whatever she wanted. plus, extra pocket cash never hurt anyone.

"Deisay?" Deisay's best friend Nicole sounded from downstairs.

Deisay rolled her eyes and called her friend up while she began to get dressed.

"you know, I gave you a key to my house for emergencies only," Deisay said to Nicole who lazily walked into her room.

"this is one," Nicole sighed, laying down on the bed.

"extreme emergencies," Deisay corrected.

"it is...I needed caffeine,"

Deisay quickly pulled on a pair of jeans and a gray shirt. she added a pair of black ankle boots and slid her arms into her favorite olive jacket.

"that's cute," Nicole commented. "it's something I would wear,"

"good, because I've gotta go. I'm running late," Deisay pinned half of her hair up and left the rest hanging down. "but you stay, have breakfast. take a shower, go through my drawers,"

hooking her dog, Rocket onto his leash, she headed out her home to earn her cash for the day.

"morning, neighbor," she happily greeted her elderly neighbor who gave her a muffin in return.

"the sun may not be out but I hope your day shines regardless," the man smiled largely at her.

"thank you!" she devoured the treat.

she turned the corner of her street with Rocket leading the way and the both of them stopped at the neighboring homes of the dogs she did walk, her hands filling with leashes.

"Rocket, Lola, Cooper, Odie, and Luna," Deisay named the five large dogs who were actually walking her more than she was walking them.

like always, she followed her neighborhood route which led to an actual bike and running trail that was usually busy on weekend mornings.

this particular morning had the trail unusually empty so Deisay sang her tunes to keep noise going instead of the heavy breathing from the dogs.

when she saw a pedestrian in her front view, she quieted.

she kept her eyes focused on the animals but couldn't help but gaze at the oncoming runner who was also with a dog, running in her direction.

the man was tall and thin with limited facial hair who gave Deisay a small head nod, and a small smile.

he was able to pull his own dog away in enough time before Deisay's dogs could even get a smell of him.

after finishing the walk and retuning the dogs to their respected owners, Deisay dropped Rocket back off at their home and dragged a lazy Nicole out of the house.

Deisay drove them to the nearest coffeehouse in their area, the place she always found the most comfort.

"can we get the coffee to go? I kinda wanted to just watch Netflix all day," Nicole said to Deisay as they waited in line,"