Chapter 11

I leaned back, sighing as I closed my eyes for a brief moment to ease to aching in them. I'd been cramming both my thesis papers all day since I had to submit the drafts by next week and it wasn't helping that I was sober while doing this crap. Bo hadn't had the time to pick up a new batch, too busy with prepping for finals. All he had was pot and that crap was only good for nothing but smiling and laughing like a domesticated seal.

I looked around. The library was eerily quiet. It was already half past eight and I was the only person in the building save for the grumpy old hag Sheila who sat by her large desk.

As if knowing she was being watched, she lifted her head, scowling at me. The bitch was a raging Catholic and after I destroyed the town's beloved St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church, she's hated my guts. It wasn't fair really, how all these religious fanatics wouldn't let it go. I went to prison for that shit and granted, my brother got me out after serving six months out of my one year sentence but I didn't ask him to. I was perfectly willing to rot in prison for the rest of my life, it wasn't my fault I had the unfortunate fate of having a heroic brother always ready to save me from my demise.

I checked my phone. There were a few missed calls from Jude like always and a bunch of texts from Bo and Tristan, telling me to get my ass out of the library and meet them at Mikey's.

I sighed, figuring I needed some alcohol in my system to at least help me sleep tonight. I walked out of the library, muttering a quick goodbye to Sheila who simply huffed out a breath in response.

I headed to the Ferrari I had stolen from Jude's warehouse where he stored all the toys he'd grown bored of. Technically, I was just borrowing. If he hadn't taken the keys to my car and bike last week, I wouldn't have had to take his car without his permission.
I dumped my books on the passenger seat, shrugging off my oversized Princeton sweatshirt and settling on the camisole I had underneath. As I drove off, I lit up the last joint I had left.

When I parked outside the bar, everyone turned at the sight of the damn Ferrari. I rolled my eyes as I exited the car, ignoring the eyes that followed my every movement. I took one last drag from my joint before throwing it on the pavement, stomping my boot on it as I walked towards the entrance.

The vicinity was packed with party goers who were seeking temporary salvation at the bottom of a liquor bottle after a week of living their miserable lives. Mark, the bouncer, was standing outside the door and I kissed his cheek as I passed him.

Mikey's Bar & Grill was known for their beer that Mikey brewed himself. One taste and you'll be asking for round after round. What made it so desirable was that Mikey refused to sell it for commercial production and would rather have his drink exclusively served to his patrons. I'd cheers to that.

I passed the bar, nodding curtly at MJ who manned the fort. He gifted me a wink and had a glass of whiskey sliding towards me by the the time I reached him. Leaning over the counter, he met me halfway as I kissed him in greeting. I traced his bottom lip with my tongue before meeting his, tugging at the dog tag he still wore despite having been discharged from the army five years ago. I pulled him closer to me as I deepened the kiss, the taste of something spicy catching me off guard.

"You either don't know what a toothbrush is, which is absolutely disgusting, or you've been swiping hot wings from the kitchen again," I muttered.

"You callin' me a thief?"

"No, but everyone knows you're a fuckin' glutton who cannot be trusted alone in the kitchen."

"We all have vices. Mine's just way tastier than yours."

I smirked. "That's cuz you haven't tasted mine."

"And trade in my hot bod for skin and bones?" He snorted. "I'll pass."