Chapter 32

I stood in front of the full body length mirror, eyeing my reflection as the group of stylists put on the finishing touches.

The silk fabric of the dress I wore had an illusion of almost just being draped over me, clinging to every curve and the sleeves barely staying on my shoulders.

My eyes were covered with dark shadows to hide the fading bruise on my right eye and the makeup artist had taken great care to conceal every patch of bruise the couldn't be hidden by my dress. My hair was pulled into a chignon with the fringe framing my forehead and one of the stylists was setting the flower hair comb that Father had donated for the auction.

Gramps had given it to my grandmother on their wedding day as her something new. Gammy had left it to me in her will along with a letter telling me that even though she couldn't attend my future wedding, she still wanted to be there in some way and to wear the hair comb as my something old.

It was the only piece of jewelry that I've ever let myself own and Father knew how much it meant to me. Him giving it away without my consent was his way of punishing me for not submitting to his wrath.

As I stared at it, I suddenly felt like I was losing my grandmother all over again and just like that time, I didn't understand why someone would take her from me.

"God, it's beautiful," the hair stylist murmured in awe as she appraised the hair comb. "I can't believe you'd give it up."

"Anything for the kids," I forced myself to say.

I gave myself one last glance before walking out of the room, a clutch in hand and my feet bearing with five inch Louboutins. Rick was sitting in the living room, dressed in a sharp tuxedo that made him look like a million bucks.

He stood at my entrance, his eyes slowly raking over me from head to toe. I stood awkwardly as he scrutinized me with his gaze and I became aware of the familiar shift in his eyes. The desire. For this empty shell. Just like everyone else, but unlike with everyone else, I knew, he didn't just simply desire this empty shell. He desired me.

"You're beautiful," he said with a smile as he approached me.

He was about to kiss my cheek when I turned away.

"Let's go."

I could tell he wanted to say something but held back and just followed me. We had spent the entire day in an awkward and tense situation. We didn't talk. We made irrelevant chatter while watching movies together but it was only to get by. I didn't even know why he insisted on coming with besides the fact that if he didn't, I'd be stuck with my mother's boy toy for the day.

I'd take Rick's company over Andre's any day. That fact somehow pissed me off. What pissed me off even more was that I had no idea what we were doing or why I had told him to stay. I just stopped thinking about it. Stopped caring. Caring was too tiring. I was exhausted enough as it is.

I gritted my teeth as Luis opened the front door, a fake smile plastered on his lips.

"Have a good day, Miss Lastor."

I gave him a glare. "Pack your shit."

His eyes widened, his mouth opening and closing. "Is there something wrong, Ma'am?"

I smiled. "Yes, you. You piss the hell out of me."

He started flustering. "I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"She's just teasing," Rick interjected, coming to my side. "She doesn't mean it."

I scoffed. "Course I do."