Chapter 42: Frederick

(all dates will be censored with ** at the ends to keep the time setting of the story vague)

It was early in the morning. Way too early for me to feel this shitty.

I didn't know what time it was. I didn't even know what date it was. I've just been driving myself into madness in my solitude, waiting for my shift to end every night and then I'd be out the door, searching for an escape from the hell I was living in.

How fucking dramatic of you, Rick.

Unfortunately, it was my day off and I had an entire day to do whatever shit I wanted to do. I went for my morning jog. Drank three cups of coffee afterwards. Watched a replay of the Giants game. Worked out at the gym for two extra hours out of boredom and bought some groceries on the way home. Hell, I even cleaned my apartment just to pass time.

By five in the afternoon, I ran out of ways to distract myself and I was back to being the miserable man that I was. All this because of a girl. One goddamn girl. What a fucking joke I've become.

I fired up my laptop, deciding to check on my emails. Emails. That's how desperate I was for a distraction.

There were a bunch of spams and a few invitations for christenings, weddings, kids' birthdays, and even house warming parties. It was like the world was trying to fuck with me, showing me everything I didn't have.

I selected all and deleted them. I didn't need more reasons to feel like shit.

And then in afterthought, I went on Google, resting my fingers on the keyboard without really pressing on the keys.

Should I?

That would be too low.

It won't hurt anyone.

It probably will hurt.

I don't give a shit.

I typed Angel Lastor on the search bar.

Seconds later, I was faced with numerous articles about her, paparrazzi and red carpet images, Youtube videos of her performances, and a Wikipedia page dedicated to her. I clicked the page, feeling like I was invading her privacy somehow as I read the article about her.

Early Life

Vivien Angel Howard-Lastor is a German-French aristocrat, heiress, classical pianist, philanthropist, and well-known socialite. She is a member of one of the wealthiest and most influential aristocratic families in the world, and has blood ties to several European Royal families. She is the daughter of multi-billionaire healthcare industry tycoon Anthony Lastor, the current President and CEO of Fortune 500 company Lastor International Corporation, and Lady Jacqueline Bernodette Bianca Labourd-Howard, a French-British aristocrat and heiress. Josef Lastor, Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine and Nobel Peace Prize winner, was her grandfather and mentor; Delilah Maxwell, botanist and author of Pulitzer Prize winning novel Child Of War, was her grandmother.

Through her paternal lineage, Lastor is a descendant of House of von Laschtorr, House of Hanover, House of Hohenzollern, House of Holstein, House of Armistead, and House of Feggur; and through her maternal lineage, House of Howard, House of Fairfax, House of Bourbon, House of Labourd, and House of Deveraux. After the abolition of the German empire and subsequent exile of the royal family in 19**, Lastor's great-grandfather, who was brother-in-law of the last ruling emperor, Timothy von Laschtorr, traveled to the United States to study medicine at Yale University and later on founded the now established conglomerate Lastor International Corporation in 19**. Angel Lastor has one sibling, an older brother and heir to the Lastor and Labourd-Howard fortunes, Jude Timothy Howard-Lastor. She was born in Munich, Germany in February 14, 19** and was raised in New York in their family home at Trinity County.