Chapter 38

"Gel, I'm right here. Are you even listening to me?" Leo, or should I say, Alex, snapped his fingers at my face.

I blinked my eyes repeatedly and straightened. "Sorry."

He frowned, turning his head and looking at where I had been staring at. The grin that broke out of his face had me holding back from smashing the bottle of Jack over his goddamn head.

"Trouble in hell, baby girl?" he said teasingly.

I scoffed, downing my glass as I glanced at their group. From what I was seeing, they were all doctors, if the identical blue scrubs they were wearing was anything to go by. And I could plainly see from where I was sitting, Rick making googly eyes at that bitch he calls Laura. They were laughing and my hold on my glass tightened when Rick draped an arm over the back of her chair.

I knew this trick. The prick was sealing the deal.

"Hm... Interesting," I heard Alex hum.

I snapped my eyes to him, his elbow propped on the table while his head rested on his fist, regarding me through narrowed eyes. Brown eyes. Not the original gunmetal blue that he had. He also chopped off his shoulder length hair, opting for a buzz cut, and had dyed it black. He had shaved his beard off and changed the tone of his voice, sounding much more friendlier. He even changed the way he dressed, wearing a freshly pressed white buttoned up shirt and jeans with loafers instead of the ragged clothes and heavy boots he often wore.

He almost sounded and looked like a normal guy. Not the homicidal sex addict that he was. I'd give him props for that.

"What?" I bit out.

"You're jealous."

I was getting sick of being told how I felt.

"I'm not."

He smiled indulgently. "Of course you're not. That's why you look like you're about to rip that poor girl's scalp off," he said, patronizing me as he patted the top of my head. "There, there, child. It's just a boy."

"Are you mocking me?"

"I wouldn't dare." He chuckled, throwing an arm around my shoulder. "Wanna give him a show to watch?"

He was more perverted than usual. I blamed the whiskey. He was never a good drunk.

"You're disgusting," I muttered in annoyance.

He snickered, placing a disgustingly wet kiss on my cheek and I sent him an equally disgusted glare. He merely laughed.

I wiped his slobber off my face, huffing in annoyance. "You were talking about Lana?" I muttered, reverting back to our conversation about his daughter.

He smiled softly at the mention of her. "Yeah... she still has the teddy bear I gave her for her second birthday," he said, his voice solemn.

I sighed, glancing over to Rick. "I still think it was a dumbass move to sneak in her bedroom while she was asleep. Creepy too."

"I know. I just had to see her. I only stayed for an hour." I gave him a flat look and he rolled his eyes. "Fine. I stayed until she was about to wake up. Sue me for missing my only child."

I shook my head, pouring myself another glass of whiskey.

"You can't do that again. I can't protect her if you're stalking her. What if someone followed you and found out where she lives?"

He sighed, grasping for his non-existent beard as if he had forgotten it wasn't there anymore.

"No one was following me. Besides, I'll kill them if they were."