Chapter 9

I came to at the feel of myself being shaken and I slowly opened my eyes, the sight of the sky reminding me that I was far from everything that I've been running away from for half of my life.

"Look," Rick whispered, pointing at the horizon.

I sat up, sighing as I admired the stunning scenery in front of me. The sun was setting, thick orange clouds sheltering it as it slowly descended. It was beautiful and it made me appreciate this horrid world, even just a little bit.

"Damn. Ain't that a sight."

"Yeah."

"It's tragic, isn't it?" I murmured, glancing at him. "How we can only appreciate something as simple as a sunset when we're far from the superficial things that we think we need in order to live. What's more ironic is that if the sun died, everything we've done all our lives would be obsolete because we will all die along with it and all trace of our existence will disappear. Somehow, I find that quite comforting, the tragedy that is our insignificance."

"Wow..." he breathed out. "You just woke up and you immediately spit out philosophical words about life. How do you do this, Angel Lastor?"

I rolled my eyes. "Why do you have to piss me off?"

"I'm starting to think you're always pissed off and you just direct it on the people around you."

I looed at him, momentarily taken aback by his observation, but he merely gave me a small smile before turning his attention back on the sunset, a sense of reverence reflecting in his eyes.

"You're beautiful, do you know that?" I said, earning an odd look from him. "I know nothing about you apart from your name but I can clearly see how good your heart is. It's the kind of good that knows no limit or condition and you have to stay away from me if you don't want that to be ruined because that's what I do. I ruin beautiful things."

He frowned, a tentative hand tucking my hair behind my ear. "I have this feeling that I'm not the first person you've told to stay away from you," he murmured, his eyes searching mine. "Why do you do that?"

I smiled. "Because no one deserves to suffer because of me."

"So you do care."

I shrugged. "I'm not heartless."

"Then why do you act like you are?"

I sighed, giving him a small smile. "Because my heart isn't as beautiful or as whole as yours and I'd rather not show it if it means I get to keep the pieces of what's left of it."

He bit his lip, his eyes conflicted. "How are you so good at this?"

I chuckled lightly. "You really don't trust me, huh?"

"You gave me a reason not to."

I sighed, leaning closer to him. "I'm not going to play tricks on you anymore, you have my word on that."

"Why should I believe you?"

I smiled. "Because you're a good person and you're the first person who's ever stood up to me in a long time. I respect that."

"You're not as scary as you think, Angel."

I shrugged. "I don't think I'm scary. A little dangerous maybe but only pussies get scared of that. You're not a pussy, are you, Frederick?"

He chuckled. "I don't think so."

I smirked. "Neither do I."

I reached a hand out and grabbed the front of his scrubs, his eyes widening in what seemed to be alarm.