Chapter 66

Pandemonium welcomed us upon arrival at the hotel where the ball was being held.

The guards that had been deployed for the event struggled to keep the mob of frenzied reporters and photographers behind the line while Jude kept a secure arm around Stella as they walked up the steps. I had gone ahead of them, accompanied by my so-called fiancée, and just sped through the carpet to avoid vomiting all over it from anxiety. Jude, however, was taking his sweet fucking time. The freak was even smiling at the cameras.

"Guess you're not the only rebel with a cause," Andre muttered as we watched my brother's grand performance.

I didn't respond, listening intently to the reports coming to me through the earpiece I wore. The additional security I had arranged were in position inside, disguised as guests and servers. Vehicles for diversion in case of an emergent situation were rounding the block while the exit routes were secured.

Tonight's event, the annual Lastor Foundation Donor's Ball, attended by not only the progeny of the Main and Second branches in the Lastor family tree, but also our closest associates that ranged from political leaders to industry tycoons. It was also the one day in the year that all sitting members of the family council held an obligatory meeting where possible elections and general overview of the family was the agenda.

Naturally, it was the worst fucking time to be instigating a rebellion, but I either let my dumbass brother have this or stand on the frontline of a war I had no desire to fight in.

"All members of the council are accounted for," Katrina, the one I charged with command of this operation, reported through my earpiece. "Head is engaged with collaterals. Assets are attempting to close in. Madame is coming your way."

I feigned to adjust the tiara pinned to my head, glancing back just as Mother walked out to the lobby. Despite her evident fury, she carried herself with grace and poise fit for a lady of her standing.

When she came to stand next to Andre and I, I could clearly see she was ashen faced and trembling as she took in the sight of her precious baby boy growing into a proper man whose balls had finally descended.

"How could you allow this to happen?" she hissed lowly from beside Andre. "Did I not make myself clear? I want that wench gone."

"It would be both arrogant and foolish, to presume there is anyone who can impose their will upon my brother," I said calmly, earning a glare from Mother. "Father couldn't bend him. Neither you nor I won't."

"Anthony is furious. He will not let this slide."

"I am not just a sword, Mother," I said with a smile, adjusting my elbow length gloves. "Nothing can touch my brother for as long as I stand with him."

"There better not be."

She let out a huff before turning on her heel and heading back inside the ball room. Andre followed her through his longing gaze, fidgeting on his feet as he remained standing next to me. Mother glanced back to him, and for a brief moment, they shared a look.

There was nothing that could be read through that single look. They were both too well-mannered to allow any genuine sincerity to be seen in anything they did. But for such a look to exist between them, I could not help but empathize. I knew that look. I saw it in Rick's eyes, reflected back to me whenever I looked at him. That unreasonable desire to be so close to him, there could be nowhere left for anything else.

Nevertheless, opportunity came before sympathy.

"We should fuck," I murmured in Andre's ear.

He flinched, quickly drawing his gaze away from Mother's retreating figure and looking at me in bewilderment.