Chapter 29: Frederick

My head was spinning, going through the things I had witnessed that I never thought I'd live to see.

I was sure I had gone a step too far by letting her drag me into something I shouldn't be associated with and I was seriously starting to doubt my sanity for even staying in that room, more so riding in the passenger seat with her driving aimlessly around the five boroughs.

She hasn't said anything since we left, her eyes focused on the road while she smoked with one arm out the window and her long red hair whipping along the wind. I was tempted to ask questions but I knew too well she wouldn't answer them.

She dragged me all the way to a place where no one in their right mind should step foot in. Find a dead body. Had me witness a threesome. Meet someone who was probably a fugitive and was most certainly a pimp. I deserved something at least.

"Angel, please say something. My head is messing with me right now," I finally said.

She sighed, flicking off her cigarette before running a hand through her hair.

"Ask me."

"If I do, will you give me a real answer this time?"

She shrugged. "Depends on the question."

"What happened there?"

"Specifics, Rick."

"Who was that guy?"

"I already told you, he's a friend."

"How do you know him?"
She clicked her tongue against her teeth. "If I tell you, he'll kill you," she said, making it sound so simple and yet I wouldn't doubt she meant her words.

I was under no illusion that their vague exchange had been about falsifying an identity in order to avoid the authorities. Why, I honestly didn't want to know. There was something about that guy. A sense of danger that made me feel uneasy.

"You talked about a kid... his kid?"

"Yeah." She paused her a moment, as if considering how much to give me. "Her name's Lana. She's my godchild."

"So how come he owes you for her life?"

She sighed, pressing the back of her head against the head rest and I prayed she didn't slam her door on me again. I had to tread carefully and not push too far.

"He knocked up Lana's Mom, Nadine, who happened to be the wife of a psychotic Russian mobster," she began. "They killed her and were going to kill Lana next so I put her in an orphanage the Lastor Foundation runs until they were... dealt with. I got one of my people to take her in as a foster two years ago. They're rich as fuck and can give her a good life, better than what Leo can ever offer her. He's owed me a shit ton since then."

"You really did all that?"

She shrugged as if this whole ordeal was just nothing. As if saving a little girl's life was nothing.

"You must really care about him."

"I didn't do any of it for him," she said, scoffing. "I did it for the little girl I delivered in an abandoned warehouse in the middle of a fucking storm. I did it for the innocent child who got caught up in a war caused by her parents' mistakes. I did it for the bright, kind, strong, and beautiful woman she's going to be one day. Leo doesn't deserve or need my unconditional support and devotion but my godchild does. Her parents may have been fucked up people whose fucked up choices led them to a fucked up life but Lana is gonna do great things and she will have a wonderful fucking life. I know because I'm gonna make it happen."