Chapter 22: Frederick

We were walking out of the hospital, engaged in light chatter as we headed for the parking lot. There were six of us and we were on our way to a bar after our shift. All of them were already friends and started out together at the hospital last year. The group consisted of one couple, Bradley and Shay. They've been together since medical school and just got engaged. Scott, Mitchell, and Laura, met here at the hospital.

We separated once we got to the parking lot and headed to Mikey's, a bar that they claimed to be an unofficial landmark in Trenton because of its famous beer. I've tasted it and I couldn't agree more. It was probably the only beer here in America that didn't taste like piss water.

When we got to the bar, it was already pouring out with patrons. I knew we probably looked ridiculous in our blue scrubs and exhausted faces but Scott and Bradley seemed to be intent on staying even though the rest of us suggested going somewhere else.

"Hang on. I think I see a vacant booth," Scott said, craning his neck as he looked around.

I felt someone shove me to the side to make way for himself and I rolled my eyes, too tired to even bother reacting. I heard Laura laugh lightly beside me and I glanced at her just as someone shoved her.

"Seriously?" I muttered.

I pulled her out of the way, putting a hand on her back and blocking her from any other rude drunks at this bar.

"Thank you," she said as she shuffled closer to me.

"I'm actually using you as my shield," I joked and she giggled lightly.

"I'll protect you," she feigned seriousness and we shared a laugh.

Scott came back empty handed after checking out the booth, claiming it was reserved. He called for one of the bartenders manning the fort and shouted over the loud, and awful, music the band onstage was playing.

"Hey! There's a reserved booth at the corner! You think we can sit there for a while till we find a table?"

The bartender glanced at the booth Scott was pointing at before holding up a finger as he turned towards the girl who was serving beers to the patrons at the bar.

"Yo, Red!" he called.

The girl wearing a cap over her head and a black hoodie looked over her shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"These guys wanted to sit in your booth!" He jutted his thumb at us. "You cool with that?"

Her attention settled on our group. She lifted her cap for a fraction to get a better look at us and I drew back when familiar silver eyes met mine.

What on Earth?

Our eyes locked for a moment, and then she glared at me before nodding.

"Go ahead!" she shouted over the music.

Scott cheered at that while I remained staring at Angel Lastor of all people as she turned back to her costumers.

What the hell is she doing?

As if knowing I was looking, she glanced at me, sending me another glare and I glared back at her. Laura tugged at my shirt and I looked over to her.

"Are you okay?" she asked, obviously seeing the scowl on my face and I only noticed I was gripping the back of her jacket just then.

I shook it off and placed my hand flat on her back.

"Of course. Let's go."

I followed the group towards the booth which had a large sign on the wall beside it broadly stating, 'RESERVED. NO SITTING'. It seemed to have been there for years already, as if it was perpetually reserved. For her.