Chapter 17

Aside from the few dishes on the sink and a couple of dirty laundry that could be done in a matter of minutes, his place was spotless. There weren't even any trash in the bin or dust on his windows.

"What am I supposed to clean here?"

He shrugged. "My clothes need folding."

I eyed him suspiciously as he went to his room, carrying a pillow, fresh linens, and a blanket along with a set of clothes when he came back. The realization dawned on me and I felt like a complete idiot.

"I know what you're doing," I said as he set up the couch.

"What am I doing exactly?"

I sighed, rubbing a palm down my face. "Look, babe, I appreciate you getting me out and all but I don't need this. I'm fine on my own."

"Then why did you call me?"

I curled my hands into fists, pursing my lips. "I didn't have a choice."

"You did," he said, folding his arms across his chest. "You could have called anyone. Why me?"

I clenched my jaw in annoyance. "Because my lawyer has a stick up his ass and would've never let me out unless he knew I would survive through the night, and you happened to be the closest thing to salvation around."

He arched a brow. "You're lying through your teeth, gorgeous."

"I don't lie," I hissed.

"Whatever you say." He shrugged, heading for the bedroom. "The bathroom is down the hall and the washing machine is in there. There's some left over lasagna in the fridge if you're hungry, just heat it up."

I closed my eyes, letting out a harsh breath. "When I was holding that phone in my hand, I realized that other than my brother, I don't have anyone." I opened my eyes, seeing him looking at me. "I know a lot of people. I got friends everywhere. But when it comes down to it, none of them are actually willing to stay for the bad stuff. They'll either run for the hills or turn a blind eye. And it sucked. Realizing that I was alone because I pushed away the only person who was willing to put up with all my shit." I looked away. "But if you want me to tell you why I called you, I can't because I honestly don't know. I guess... I guess I was hoping you weren't like everyone else."

He sighed, approaching me. When he tried to hold me, I backed away.

"Don't fucking pity me."

"Comfort is different from pity, Angel," he said, reaching for me again. This time, I let him.

He held me and I sighed, tentatively wrapping my arms around his waist. It seemed weird, standing in the middle of some strange guy's apartment and embracing said guy for no reason at all. But it didn't feel weird. It felt... comforting. I couldn't remember the last time I felt genuine comfort. It was like the chaos inside me rested and the heaviness in my chest was lifted and I could breathe again.

"You were really brave tonight," he suddenly said. "Stupid, but still, you get credit for effort."

I slapped his back but he merely chuckled. "Why are you so good to me?" I found myself asking.

"Because I have a feeling that not many people are good to you."

"Most people are scared of me."

"I'm not most people."

I looked up at him, trying to read through him but all I saw was his sincerity. He wasn't doing this to get something in return, not one thing about him had a hint of malice. It was... odd.

He suddenly cleared his throat, backing away. "Come get me if your leg is bothering you, or you need anything."

My lips twitched. "Goodnight, sweetheart."