Chapter 33

Rick and I snuck out of the party and spent the rest of the night loitering around the city. When he admitted that he's never been to any of the tourist spots, I couldn't accept it. As a full blooded New Yorker, it was my duty to show him what he was missing out on.

I dragged him to every iconic building, looked at exhibits at the Met, and ate at all the best restaurants in Chinatown according to TripAdvisor and by midnight, our last stop was Carnegie Hall. My favorite place in the city.

"I don't think it's open," Rick said as we got out of the cab.

"Don't worry. I know a guy."

"Is there anywhere you don't know anyone?" he muttered incredulously.

I thought for a moment before shaking my head. "Nah. I pretty much know everybody."

He chuckled. "Of course you do."

I walked up to the guard and he grinned when he caught sight of me.

"I was just thinkin' 'bout you."

"Don't ya always?"

He laughed, spreading his arms and I threw myself at him. He caught me, squeezing me in his arms.

"Never thought I'd see you here again, kid."

"Me neither."

"Glad you're back." He sighed, setting me down before turning to face Rick. "Hi. Stevie." He held out hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Rick," he replied, taking Stevie's hand and shaking it. "You too."

"Stevie's been the night shift guard for... how long has it been? Eighteen years?"

He grinned, tipping his hat. "Turnin' nineteen this October."

"Wow. That's amazing," Rick said in awe.

"If you're ever throwing a barbeque, you gotta call this guy," I said, slapping Stevie's back lightly. "He's got stories to last a lifetime and it doesn't hurt he makes a kickass sauce."

"The secret is sauteed spices," he whispered to Rick conspiratorially.

I chuckled. "So, Stevie, I was wondering if I could brag to Rick about my old stomping ground."

"It ain't bragging if it's the deadass truth. There's no one better to show you how music should sound like than this girl right here," he said proudly as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "I had the pleasure of being her first audience when she was practicing for President Bush's inauguration. Can you believe that? I got to see her before the President of the country!"

I rolled my eyes. "Don't you ever get sick of telling that story?"

"You kidding me? It's a crowd favorite!"

"You gotta tell me the story," Rick gushed excitedly.

"Next time, maybe," I said, taking his arm. "Stevie, you mind?"

He shook his head, going to the entrance. "You know you're welcome through these doors any time, kid," he said as he pushed the doors open.

I smiled. "Thanks, Stevie."

I guided Rick through the hall, feeling a sense of melancholia as familiarity set in. The auditorium was as grand as I remembered it to be, exuding elegance from its dauntingly high ceilings to the balcony seats wrapping around the parquet.

I slipped my shoes off, letting Rick's jacket that he had lent to me slide down my shoulders as I slowly padded down the aisle towards the stage.

I was flooded with memories of myself sitting at the center of the stage and playing the piano for hours on end, trying to perfect every piece the great Beethoven had composed.