Chapter 62

After buying an assortment of food from the vendors on the boardwalk, we headed to the beach. I just kept wordlessly following him, watching as he spread out the blanket he had brought out of his trunk and letting him pull me down to sit. He took off my boots for me and then put his jacket over my lap, then began to set the food out.

He remained silent, calmly going about the task. When he was done and there was nothing left to do but for us to eat, he seemed at a loss of how to carry on. I continued to watch him, waiting for him to decide what to do with me.

When he finally looked at me, I knew he had made the wrong decision because even though he wasn't saying anything, I could so clearly see it. The fucking pity, as if he was looking at a victim. To be treated preciously and protected. It was insulting, that look in his eyes.

I suppressed the innate fury that came to me at being regarded this way. It was not his fault, that he possessed kindness and sympathy, but I couldn't stand it either way. It was simply against everything that I was, to accept this.

Just as Jude was my only true equal, no one but my father had the right to regard me as an inferior. I could not allow such an offensive and dangerous perception of me to exist, both for my pride and survival.

"Stop," I said, turning my head to face the shore. "I didn't tell you those things to get sympathy kisses and tears. I don't need anyone's pity. I don't need anyone to tell me how brave I am or how strong I am. I don't need any of that bullshit." I brought my gaze back to him. "I'm many things, but I am never a victim. Don't insult me by treating me like one."

He looked pissed off for some reason. I didn't care.

"Let's play a game," he suddenly said, shifting to fully face me. "Twenty questions, with a twist. I'll ask first."

"Rick-"

"What's your favorite color?"

I eyed him for a moment before answering, "Red."

His brow arched as his gaze raked over me. "Not black?"

I decided to humor him and his stupid game as I shrugged.

"Black makes me comfortable. I like red. It reminds me of Christmas."

He nodded at that, looking thoughtful for a moment. "Favorite book?"

I sighed. "Ludwig Bemelman's Madeline."

His lips twitched as if he was holding back a smile. "Favorite food?"

"Anything with a lobster."

"Dessert?"

"Carrot cake."

He seemed shocked. "Never heard that before."

"It's both a vegetable and a dessert. It's mind boggling that it can be delicious," I said defensively.

He let himself smile, just barely. "Favorite movie?"

"Forrest Gump."

"Favorite song?"

I scoffed. "That's a stupid question to ask a musician."

He shrugged. "If you could only listen to one piece of music for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

I contemplated for a moment, tapping my fingers against my knee. I quickly became overwhelmed.

"This is fucking with my head," I muttered to myself. "I can't give you an answer. Ask me another one."

He rubbed his jaw, thinking. "What's your greatest dream?"

"To not be like this anymore."

He pursed his lips. "Your greatest fear?"