11: Au revoir motherland.

The blazing afternoon sun beamed at Hanan and Muhsin as they made way into the Shafiq's mansion. They had visited to say goodbye since their flight was around 5am the next day. It had been a lovely one week at her in-laws and just how much they pampered her was beyond her expectations.

"Ya Hananyyyy" Janan yelped with delight. She stood hastily and gave Hanan a bone crushing hug.

"Whoa, careful there." Sameer uttered, descending the stairs.

Hanan pulled out of the hug and gave her sister a peck. She then whirled around and embrace Sameer in a bunny hug.

"I missed you." Sameer rested his palm on his sister's cheek.

"If only you know Ya Sameer, by Allah I wished for nothing but to see your faces."

"Look who is here. Hello baby sis." Habib waved, proceeding into the living room.

Hanan felt elated at the sight of Ya Habib. With a big grin, she ran up and embosomed him tightly. Muhsin stood like a statue as he watched the sister-brother bond. He wasn't sure if he was invisible though because none of them glanced to his direction. He made his presence noticed by clearing his throat and greeting them Islamically again (Assalamu alaikum/ may peace be upon you).

"Ya Muhsin" Janan smiled. They all exchanged pleasantries, inviting him to have a seat.

"Where is Maama?" Hanan asked.

"She is taking a nap." Sameer informed.

"I am sorry Maama, but I am waking you up from your beauty sleep. You need to wake up and see your baby." Hanan said, ascending the stairs.

Without a knock, she barged in and tiptoed to the king sized bed where Maama laid. Pulling down the coverlet from Maama's body, she rested herself besides Maama and stared at her sleeping face. As the freezing cold from the air conditioner perturbed Maama's peaceful sleep, she unclosed her eyes to check on the coverlet.

"Hanan is that you?" Maama asked while trying to sit up.

"Good afternoon mother." Hanan plastered a kiss on Maama's forehead.

"Afternoon my child. How have you been, I mean with your new family?"

"Great, they treat me like a queen. The only difference between this place and that is you and my siblings. They treat me more like a daughter than a daughter in-law." Hanan said sincerely.

Maama smiled, her heart felt light and content. "And Muhsin?" She asked furthermore.

"He is not bad himself." She watched as Maama's smile widened. A sense of guilt took over her after she remembered the termination of her marriage in 6 months to come. How would her family cope with the news of her divorce after six months of marriage? But that was not something she should be thinking about at that moment, besides it wouldn't really matter because one thing is for sure, they would understand why it had to end that way when the time comes. Clearing off the thoughts, she gave Maama the best smile she could muster. "He came with me, he is in the living room."

"I will just wash up and go down to him. By the way, Hajiya Zainab told me you two are leaving at dawn. Why didn't you tell me that when we spoke yesterday."

"The news left me speechless myself. I am not at all willing to go with him, for Allah's sake I belong here and not in some foreign land. Maama should I just tell him to go by himself."

"Ke banasan shashancin banza (Spare me that useless talk) What is the essence of getting married if the couple lives miles apart?" Maama glared at Hanan and she giggled.