47: Affliction

25th May, 2017.
Abuja, Nigeria.
Hanan wheeled her luggage out to the arrivals, she could see different people with different smiles on their faces as they anticipated the arrival of loved ones. On other days, in other circumstances, she would've being the happiest person coming home to meet the happiest people waiting for her. But today, just not today.

She sauntered past the reunions and headed straight to the exit. Few strides away from the door, she saw Sameer in a hurry, checking his wristwatch as if a second more, the person he came for would leave and never come back.

For the first time in a while, she felt a tinge of happiness in her. But this time too, they were mixed feelings. Fear, happiness and sadness, her heart ached at the combination. Why was he there? Why was he in a hurry? Was everything and everyone okay? But of course not everyone was okay, she wasn't.

When their eyes met, hers opened wider in shock. He smiled, hurrying towards her with so much enthusiasm. But she was numb, she just stood there motionless, battling with all her might not to succumb to the lump that formed in her throat.

I came home for your wedding, I came home for your wedding. She repeated inwardly. Ya Allah, she was such a liar. Lying to save everyone the heartache when hers was already bleeding. Albeit, she said she wasn't going to put others first anymore. She wanted the 'me before everyone' thing. She had planned to dump it on all their faces, whether they accept her for her mistakes or not was up to them. But right there, as she stood tall, facing Ya Sameer, she knew all those were bluffs. She cared, she really did.

Ya Sameer engulfed her in a hug, his body was warm and welcoming. While hers was cold and rigid. She didn't cry, and that came as a surprise to her. She just stood there in his embrace, until he let go himself.

"Welcome home meri jaan." He uttered with a grin.

She knew he was trying to be funny and he wasn't, but regardless, she chuckled. "You did not, did you? I will murder Hanifa if you did."

"Movies are movies, doesn't matter whether they are Indian or chinese. And girl? Call that name with respect, she's your elder sister now."

Hanan heaved a sigh, the dramatic way. "She used to be my best friend until you two decided to get married."

He chuckled. "I used to be your favorite until you got married."

Don't worry, we are getting divorced. But Of course she wouldn't say that out loud.

"You will always be my favorite Ya Sameer." She said instead.

"And she will always be your best friend Hanan. Now, let's go before Maama run down my battery with her calls. They can't wait to see you."

She gasped. "But I told none of you I was coming."

"Kudos to your husband. Hanifa is so excited to have you here for her wedding preps." He uttered, taking hold of her luggage.

The nerves of that man. After accusing her of meeting random men at cafes, after not apologizing for what he did, after not telling her to stay. Ya Allah, after not telling her to stay, that part pained her more than any other thing. Of course deep down she knew he saved her the glares and questions, and she knew she made him a liar which he never was. But what exactly was he thinking, that she would go back to him after the wedding? If that was the case, then he was deceiving himself. And she would love to say that to his face if they ever get to meet again.

Right now, she didn't want to think about him or his software or Alex or their relationship, heck, she didn't want to think at all. She realized that she had lost herself completely, the fun to-be-with person she once was died somewhere along the way, her love for fashion designing and the joy she derived from it was also out of the picture, and her selflessness was the best part of her that she was struggling not to lose at that moment. She needed to find herself, her happiness, passion, dreams, and future first. And maybe everything would fall into place afterwards. For now, HER.
**********