34: A long night.

8th May, 2017.
Ubud, Bali.
Sandalwood incense scents the humid air as they circled under curving arcs of bamboo decorations interwoven with frangipani and palm leaf. The 12-foot-tall flowered decorations waved like flags at every street corner of every village they pedaled through. Men, resplendent in loose white tunics rode by in scooters. Bells tinkled, children were everywhere and everyone greeted them with face-splitting smiles and a cheerful good evening. 

It was their first day in Ubud after spending two days, two nights in Kuta. Their first tourist stop that evening was the Ubud sacred monkey forest. Over 550 macaque monkeys scamper about three 11th-century temples in a protected forest reserve on the edge of the town. There were lots of laughter as the monkeys jump up on people who've brought them bananas. Shutters click continuously as people snap photos of the long-tailed felons.

 Shutters click continuously as people snap photos of the long-tailed felons

Hanan ogled at the tiny almost-hairless monkey suckling from its mother over Iman's head who was held onto her chest in a carrier

Hanan ogled at the tiny almost-hairless monkey suckling from its mother over Iman's head who was held onto her chest in a carrier. She held her firmly as if scared that the monkeys would snatch her baby away from her. And from the woody scent of oudh that whizzed into her nostrils, she knew Muhsin was just a step behind her. Her hunch was confirmed when his tall figure stood beside her. They shared a brief glance and a doting smile before their gazes reverted back to the creatures.

"I thought you would be scared of monkeys." His voice came, husky and everything she wanted.

She looked at Iman who had a small pout on her lips and smiled. "What do you take me for? A scaredy cat?" She asked.

He beamed, shaking his head. "Well, considering the fact that you almost choked at the sight of fishes, I didn't know you could stand the sight of these mammals." He passed the bottle of water he came with to her.

She collected the bottle and gulped a mouthful. "How on earth is going underwater fun? How do people even find sharks cute? But these, they are adorable." She voiced out her thoughts, her gaze didn't falter away from the primates.

"Wow, these monkeys are lucky living beings. Not everyone is privileged to be called adorable by Hanan Shafiq. Do you want us to adopt one?" He looked at her, and when his hazels landed on her ebonies, he added; "Milady"