39: Life-changing decisions

10th May, 2017.
Ubud, Bali.
After the movie, Muhsin decided to make use of his evening in replying his emails. There were so many of it and he knew not even half would be taken care of that night. But he was somehow going to try cutting down the number.

Halfway into it, his phone rang and he paused his work to answer it.

"Huda" He uttered the very moment he picked up but there was no reply.

"Are you there?" He added.

"Muhsin" She spoke, her voice was shaking and Muhsin heard the sadness in it. He knew all was not well because if it was, MK was his name.

He stood on his feet. "Huda, are you okay?"

"No, I am not. Can we talk?" She snorted.

"Yes please. Where are you?" He asked, advancing to the door.

"I don't know. I am just outside."

"Just stay wherever you are. I will be there in no time." He slipped into his flip-flops and moseyed out to look for her in the greeneries.

He found her standing under the dim outdoor lights, so he hurried towards her to know what was wrong.

"Huda" He called as he stood behind her.

She twirled around, flashing her sad eyes into his. Muhsin's heart ached at the sight, she was the only sister he had left.

"What happened to you?" He asked.

She shoved her phone screen to his face without a word. He collected it and played the video she intended showing him. It was a video mix of their silly old videos when it was just them, with neither Hanan on focus nor a marriage certificate binding Muhsin to another woman. It was a mini recap of the good old days Huda would do anything to have again.

His gaze slowly moved up from the screen to Huda whose lashes fluttered endlessly as she tried to fight back the tears that were pushing their way down.

"What happened to us MK? We used to be everything to each other but you hardly even talk to me now." She paused, wiping the lone tear that strolled out of her right eye. "How did we ended up like this MK, tell me, how?" She whisper-yelled, giving way to her floodgates.

"Huda stop crying please. You need to calm down before we talk about this."

She looked at him, letting the tears fall some more before wiping them off in a jiffy. "We don't have anything to talk about. All I want to hear is you telling me you want me back, you want us back. Please tell me you want what we used to have again." She was so fast that he almost couldn't grab a word she was saying and before he knew it, he felt her arms around him. She held him tight yet her body was shaking.

Before he could free himself out of her grip, he saw someone walking away from afar. He couldn't mention a name but he knew someone saw them. But that was not the important part of it all, first things first, he needed Huda back into her senses.

He held her shoulders and gently pushed her away from his body.

"What is wrong with you Huda? Is this how far you can go over a stupid love story that was all in your head? We were never what you're thinking Huda, I was just a brother to you and there was no more to it. I am happily married and I love my wife and by Allah I will never forgive you if you ruin what I have. Stop being so irrational and clingy." He yelled.

Fresh set of tears ran down her checks yet she managed to let out a bitter laugh. "Of course. Of course you are allowed to tell me all that Muhsin. After all I am nothing but a fool that love you more than I love the people that brought me into this world. I am nothing but a crazy woman that get sleepless nights over a married man that is so happily in love with his wife. I am nothing but an idiot that lives every single day of her life hoping that someday you will be mine. You know something, I once wished you would be mine alone, but after I lost you to someone else, I was fine with being the second or third or fourth wife, I didn't care anymore as long as I get to wake up everyday to the sight of you. As long as I am allowed to love you without any woman claiming you belong to her alone. You called me clingy? No honey, I wasn't just clingy, I was obsessed with you. But I'm not going to do that anymore because I am freaking tired of getting my heart broken every single day. So congratulations Muhsin Khaleed, because this foolish woman is finally giving up on you. I am done. I am done getting hurt by the one person I explained my pain to. I am going to move on no matter what it takes." She snorted, pulled her phone out of his grip and marched away.