51: Homesick

20th June, 2017.
Abuja, Nigeria.
The tall and the short, the fair and the dark, the old and the young, the rich and the poor, from all angles, the hall was a sight to behold. One could count hundreds and hundreds more until you lose count of the numbers. How blessed was Muhsin Khaleed?

"I've never seen this much people my entire life." Janan uttered for the nth time in five minutes.

Hanan scoffed. "Yeah, you told us a thousand times already. Now will you please just shut up and let us concentrate."

They were seated at the front, which was specially reserved for the Shafiqs'.

"Ya Hanan you've been so nice lately." Janan mumbled.

"Very nice." Hanifa added.

Hanan knew that was an irony. Deep down, she knew she had been a bitch to the people around her lately. Her mood had been crap for days, and she needed to fix that at the earliest.

"Good day ladies and gentlemen. You are welcome to the software launch of our beloved Muhsin Khaleed. We'd like to start with an opening prayer and opening speech by our dear mother, Hajiya Zainab Shafiq. Please a round of applause for her as she graces the stage with her presence. Hajiya Zainab Shafiq please." The mc said, and the hall went wild with applauses.

How much more sensitive could Muhsin be. Honoring Maama that way, the Shafiqs' couldn't ask for more. Hanan couldn't ask for more.

Maama took the mic, prayed and showered her blessings upon Muhsin, his work and his family. Abi took over, and then someone else and someone else until at least five elders gave their speeches before the mc decided to call on the owner of the event and reason for the crowd to give a welcome speech to his guests.

Hanan watched as a tux clad Muhsin Khaleed appeared from behind the stage. His hair and sideburns were nicely trimmed and his shoes were well polished. He looked super neat, super hot and super glorious. And when he caught her staring, he flashed his pearly whites, melting every solid part of her body.

Breath Hanan Shafiq, breath.

He cleared his throat, his eyes now on his audience. "Assalamu alaikum. Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I, Muhsin Khaleed, welcome each and everyone of you to my second software launch. It's a great honor having all of you here, and no amount of words would be able to express my profound gratitude. Jazakumullahu khair. And to my family.." He glanced at the Khaleeds', before his eyes moved to Hanan and he held the gaze as he spoke. "I can't thank you enough for the love and support. I know I've not being there a lot, and I am so sorry because all I want from today onwards is to be the best and honest version of myself to you all." He ended the statement, averting his gaze to Huda. "Thank you so much." He paused as the audience clapped in unison. "Once again, you are all welcome, and please enjoy." He ended his speech with a graceful smile.

Hanan stared as he walked out to the backstage. She was multitasking, trying to calm her intermittently beating heart as well as make sense of what just happened on that stage. Was he really talking to the whole family? Or was his words directed solely to her? Or maybe to Huda? Or maybe he was just really not referring to any of them?

"And now a little entertainment for our guest." The mc announced, and there was another round of applause before the lights went off.

Hanan took a sip from her water bottle, she felt uneasy for some reason she couldn't quite decipher. Despite the murmurs from the audience, all she could hear was the sound of her heartbeat. Why did she not stay at home and have a good rest?

Suddenly, the spotlight shone down on Muhsin behind a piano. It reminded Hanan of the first time she saw him play at Disneyland Paris. One of the best days of her life, the memory was still fresh on her mind. Oh how she miss those good old days, when she was just dummy and he was just dumbo, the D family.