37: The summer monsoon

10th May, 2017.
Ubud, Bali.
There was a heavy downpour since dawn. It was lunch time and none of the family stepped a foot out since morning. Everyone was so caught up with one thing or the other in their room. Hanan decided to use her schedule-free day to polish her nails with henna. It was her time of the month, so she didn't join Muhsin in praying but rather sat on the couch and recited the holy Qur'an with him when he was done. After reciting from Surat Al-Dukhan down to Najm, Muhsin ended the Tilawa and said the closing prayer.

"That was a beautiful recitation, Masha Allah." Hanan complimented when Muhsin stood up to fold the prayer mat.

"Well, we recited together and your qira'a wasn't any less beautiful." He raked his fingers through his hair.

"Thank you Ya Sheikh." She chuckled softly, blowing on her polished left hand.

"Can you please help me call Janan on the phone? She should come over and help me apply this on my other hand."

He folded the mat and placed it on the night stand before he advanced towards her, rolling up his denim sleeves. When he stood a very short distance away from her, he pulled the wooden side table and sat, his knees brushing against hers.

"Let me try." He extended a hand.

She beamed. "This is no software programming sir."

His eyes twinkled as he goggled at her Ebonies. "I am quite talented with the girly stuff Hanan. You can try me." He tilted his head a little to the left, giving off the confidence energy.

She gave him a once-over. "Okay." She slowly placed her fingers on his extended hand before giving him the henna.

She watched as he delicately applied the henna over the upper part of her finger. His eyes were focused on what he was doing as if that was his only care in the world. She carefully observed how his features, like how sideburns were neatly trimmed, his brows untamed and how his eyeslashes slowly flickered in sync with his tongue that deftly licked on his dry slightly pink lips. It was like having a tour of her 8th wonder of the world. Because when everyone on planet earth was busy admiring the 7 wonders of the world, she found her eighth wonder.

"Do you have to make it so obvious that you find me attractive?" He swallowed, as if trying to restrain a smile.

She turned crimson when he said that. "You wish." She looked away in a jiffy.

He glanced up at her and gave her a lopsided grin for a second before darting his gaze back to her fingers. A moment of silence passed before he spoke again.

"So, tell me about Muhammad. You two had a thing, didn't you?"

Her pupils flared. "Nooo, we didn't." She whisper-yelled.

And that cracked him up. "Chill babe. I was just innocently asking."

"You are mean." She uttered with a small pout.

"But I saw how you two were looking at each other. Fishy!"

She rolled her eyes. "I didn't know you are that observant. Okay, Muhammad did liked me, but it was short-termed and not even a mutual feeling. I never had a thing with anyone."

Awe transformed his face when she ended her statement. "Never? Really? Why?"

"Well.." she took in a sharp breath. "Because there was someone I felt I had to wait for."

He averted his gaze to her face, his expression closed up. "Are you still waiting for him?" He asked.

She held his gaze, drawing her lower lip between her teeth. A moment of silence passed before Muhsin smiled, ducking his head back to its previous position. A vein ticked in her head, she didn't see any of that coming.