45: The Breakup

Get the tissue boxes ready......

23rd May, 2017.
Paris, France.
3:30pm.
Hanan adjusted her hijab, alighting from the car she just drove from her house. She puffed a massive amount of air out of her mouth to calm her nerves. She was meeting with Peter Samuel at a cafe which was just minutes away from her house. The headlines are; she was still yet to tell Muhsin about her encounter with Mr Alex, she has been playing hide and seek with him, refusing to allow him to drive her to or from work, yes, he still had no idea she had quit, and last but not the least, instead of going to work as she claimed she was, she ended up in a cafe to seek help from a stranger she only knew through her brother.

So many wrongs in an attempt to right another wrong.

When she entered the cafe, she sighted him at the far end sipping a steamy mug of coffee whilst going through a book. She knew it was him at first glance, he looked so Nigerian.

"Excuse me, Peter Samuel?" She asked, standing in front of his table.

"Hanan Shafiq. Please sit." He answered.

She pulled the chair opposite his and sat. Her heart beating at an extreme rate, she feared it might soon push out of her chest.

"Sorry, I was tired of waiting, so I got some coffee. Let's order one for you."

"No please, thank you."

"Alright, how are you?" He asked.

"I am good. Thank you." Everything felt so haram at that moment. She wanted to run back, call Muhsin home and confess all her sins, but she didn't. She just sat there. Like her thinking cells have been eaten to the last bit by termites.

"Sameer told me what happened, it's very unfortunate. I got you a lawyer, though he is busy at the moment, but he promised to meet up as soon as his schedule is less hectic. I decided to talk to you first. I need the details." He explained.

Hanan told him how exactly she met Mr Alex, started working with him, the unofficial summons and the incident that led to her quitclaim.

"That's really bad. But everything will be fine. I will call you when he is ready to meet."

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

She nodded. "If you don't mind, I will like to take my leave."

"Sure, please do."

"Thank you."

"I'd do anything for Sameer. It's my pleasure." He uttered and Hanan gave him a faint smile before she stood up and made her way to the exit.
******
4:20pm
The sky was opaque, ready to pour down the water in it when Hanan reached home. Everywhere was serene, except for the sound of the tempestuous wind. It seemed the Winfreys' were already done for the day. Only the two new guards Hanan asked Muhsin for were fixed at their different spots inside the house. She didn't tell him the reason she wanted the guards, she only told him it would be better to have some around and he agreed. If she felt they needed more security, then of course they needed more even if they don't, even if he doesn't understand why they do. He wanted her to feel safe, and that's that.

She walked past them and made her way to her entrance. The door was open for some reason she didn't know, but she knew the guards were there and it would be very difficult for someone to walk past them. Deep down, she was scared, yet she proceeded.

She scanned the house for a short while to make sure no one was in. And when she couldn't find a trance of someone breaking in, she presumed that the Winfrey's mistakenly left the door open. So she ascended the stairs and made her way to her room. After all that happened earlier, she felt she needed some alone time, time to reminisce and think of a better alternative. That one felt so wrong, everything did.