Broken

Raina's POV.

Raina walked into Luke's room at the medical center. He was sitting up and had just been checked out by the doctor.

The Twi'lek doctor smiled at Luke. "You'll be good as new in no time."

"Thanks." Luke smiled back.

The doctor passed by Raina on the way out.

"He'll be just fine."

Raina nodded. "Thank you."

The doctor smiled and exited.

Raina looked at Luke and smiled. He smiled back. She walked over to his bed.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Fine." He answered.

Raina sat on the edge of the bed.

"You had me pretty scared there." She told him.

Luke looked down. "You weren't the only one."

Raina watched as Luke stared at the blankets and cuddled with them.

"Raina. . .you proved yourself last night." He said.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

He looked up. "You chose your duty over your emotions. You chose to leave me and save Nima instead of risking the mission and saving me." Luke said.

Raina looked down. She didn't know what to say.

"I'm very proud of you." He said.

Raina looked up to see Luke smiling.

"Thank you."

"Because of what you did I have no choice, but to promote you to Jedi Knight." He announced.

Raina's eyes widened. "Jedi Knight?"

Luke nodded. Raina smiled widely and hugged him.

She laughed happily. "I can't believe it!" She exclaimed.

Luke laughed. "You deserve it."

Raina pulled away. "You know it wasn't easy to leave you right?" She asked.

Luke looked down and became serious.
"I know."

Raina looked down. "You know. . .what I said before I-"

"Don't. Don't apologize for that. If you do, it means I fought for nothing." Luke said.

"I don't understand." Raina said.

"After I was shot. . .I knew I wasn't going to make it. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of you waiting for me at the ship. And those last words you said to me." Luke admitted.

"Luke. . ." She began.

"Raina I love you with all my heart, but I'm not the Jedi I should be."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "I-I what are you saying?"

Luke sighed and took her hands in his. "Raina, after you become a Jedi Knight. . .I can't marry you."

Raina froze. They had never mentioned marriage although she had thought about it many times. Was he serious?

"But-but you said that after I became a Jedi. . .after I proved that I-"

"I know. I know what I said, but that was when I thought you were the one who wasn't strong, when in reality it was me." He said.