Chapter 6

Dean said" Alright. I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by Lunch, then head south, hit Bisbss by midnight. Sam wears women's underwear." I giggled,
Sam said" I'm listening. I'm just busy."
" Busy doing what?"
" Reading emails."
" Emails from who?"
" From my friends at Stanford."
" You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?"
" Why not?"
" Well... what exactly do you tell them, you know, about where you been, what you been doing?"
" I tell them I'm on a road trip with my big brother and baby sister. I tell them I needed some time off after Jess."
" Well, so you lie to them."
" No. I just don't tell them everything."
" Yeah. That's called lying. Hey, man, I get it. Telling the truth is far worse."
" So what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Dean shrugged," You're serious?"
" Look, it sucks. But in a job like this, you can't get close to people."
" You're kind of antisocial. You know that?"
" Yeah. Whatever."
" God."
" What?"
" This email from this girl Rebecca Warren. One of those friends of mine."
" Is she hot?"
" I went to school with her and her brother Zach. She says Zach's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."
" Dude, what kind of people you hanging out with?"
" No, man. I know Zach. He's No killer."
" Well, maybe you know Zach as well as he knows you."
" They're in St. Louis. We're going."
" I'm sorry about your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem."
" It is our problem. They're my friends."
" St. Louis is 400 miles behind us, Sam." I knew Sam gave Dean that look, and then Dean got into the car, Sam held my arm as Dean made a U-turn. I crawled over the seat and cuddled into Sam before closing my eyes and falling asleep.

We got to St. Louis, and to the place Sam said his friend lived.
Sam knocked on the door and a woman answered it,
She said" Oh, my god. Sam."
Sam said" Well, if it isn't little Becky."
" You know what you can do with that little Becky crap." They hugged,
" I got your email."
" I didn't think that you would come here."
Dean said" Dean, older brother. This is Hazel." As he bounced me on his hip to get a grip on me since I was slipping.
" Hi."
" Hi."
Sam said" We're here to help. Whatever we can do."
She said" Come in." We walked in, Dean closed the door,
Dean said" Nice place."
" It's my parents'. I was just crashing here for the long weekend when everything happened. I decided to take the semester off. I'm gonna stay until Zach's free."
Sam said" Where are your folks?"
" They live in Paris for half the year, so they're on their way home now for the trial. Do you guys want a beer or something?"
Dean said" Hey."
Sam said" No, thanks. So... tell us what happened."
She said" Well, um, Zach had came home, and he found Emily tied to a chair. And she was beaten up and bloody, and she wasn't breathing. And so he... he called 911. And the police, they showed up, and... and they arrested him. But the thing is, the only way that Zach could have killed Emily is if he was in two places at the same time. The police, they have a video. It's from the security tape across the street. And it shows Zach coming home at 10:30. Now, Emily was killed just after that, but I swear he was here with me, having a few beers until at least after midnight."
" You know, maybe we could see the crime scene, Zach's house."
Dean said" We could?"
She said" Why? What could you do?"
Sam said" Well, me, not much. But Dean's a cop."
Dean said" A detective, actually."
She said" Really? Where?"
" Bisbee, Arizona. But I'm off duty now."
" I don't know. You guys, it's so nice to offer, but I just... I don't know."
Sam said" Beck, look. I know Zach didn't do this. Now, we have to find a go prove that he's innocent."
" Okay. I'm gonna go get the keys." She walked away,
Dean whistled, then said" Oh, yeah, man. You're a real straight shooter with your friends."
Sam said" Look, Zach and Becky need our help."
" I just don't think this is our kind of problem."
" Two places at once? We've looked into less."
Dean nodded his head weirdly.